Best method for more XLR inputs?

skot44

Yo!

So currently, I'm in the process of building up my gear foundation, such as many of you on this forum. Right now I'm using a Tascam US-1200 as my audio interface. It has 6 inputs and 2 outputs. I want to add more XLR inputs, that way I can record an entire drum set ( snare, kick, 3 toms, and 2 OH). I'm looking into the PreSonus Digimax D8 that way I can convert the line inputs to XLR, therefore have more mic inputs. I'm curious, as to if I can use the total 6 inputs on my Tascam and the remaining 6 on the Digimax to record all through XLR. Is this possible?

I don't know the Digimax very well, but I don't think it will do what you want. IIRC, you need something with an ADAT or Lightpipe input to be able to use that unit.

Basically, you want to add tracks, right? Be able to record the additional XLR inputs on their own rather than do a submix?

Your Tascam US1200 only allows 6 inputs to DAW. You could use an external stereo preamp into the line inputs for a total of 6 XLR's, but that is it.

To get to that 7 you will need a new interface. This Tascam will get you 8XLR and 8 line inputs.

And LDS is correct, the Digimax is not what you need as it only has direct and ADAT outputs. Yes, you could use it to run the 1200's line inputs, but it is overkill. Unless you buy that and an interface with ADAT inputs.

My opinion, not trying to talk you out of a new interface, a mic on each Tom is a waste. I did that a couple of times with a band and my results were not that great. I liked the tom sound from the OH's than I did the direct mic. If you try Snare, Kick, OH's and position the mics to capture a good Tom sound (they are picked up rather easy and you are going to get bleed anyway) you may find you don't need 7 inputs.

Just a thought and worth a try. If you have tried this, my apologies for stating the obvious.

If you are doing any sort of music that requires a larger than life drum sound, you need to mic the toms individually.

The only way you can get away without micing the toms is if you are doing a production that can stand a 'what the drums sound like in the room' type sound. The drummer also has to do a great job of mixing himself as he plays.

No it isn't. It's better to track them and not need them than want them and not have them.

I don't disagree with this, "Better to have and not need ..." but in this context, I was just trying to give an alternative before going out and buying something he/she may not need. If the OP tries the 5 mic approach and doesn't like it, buy another interface and mic it. The suggestion costs nothing more than time.

I don't disagree with this, "Better to have and not need ..." but in this context, I was just trying to give an alternative before going out and buying something he/she may not need. If the OP tries the 5 mic approach and doesn't like it, buy another interface and mic it. The suggestion costs nothing more than time.

You said "a mic on each tom is a waste". I'm saying that's wrong.

If you are doing any sort of music that requires a larger than life drum sound, you need to mic the toms individually.

The only way you can get away without micing the toms is if you are doing a production that can stand a 'what the drums sound like in the room' type sound. The drummer also has to do a great job of mixing himself as he plays.

This ^^^^^^^

Thank you for all of your replies so far. So I must ask, can I get another Tascam Us-1200 or US-1800 and use both interfaces simultaneously? I'm using a PC running Windows 7 if that matters.

Thank you for all of your replies so far. So I must ask, can I get another Tascam Us-1200 or US-1800 and use both interfaces simultaneously? I'm using a PC running Windows 7 if that matters.

Nope. One ASIO driver is allowed by any DAW. Well, there are exceptions, but not in this case for which you are looking for.

the Digimax is not what you need as it only has direct and ADAT outputs.

Just a quick correction Jimmy. The D8 (I own one) can be run as analog preamps using the direct 1/4" outputs.

But in the case of OP I agree, the D8 would be a waste on that device and at best he gets 2 more preamps out of it so not worth it. He needs something with more I/O

I would suggest selling the 1200 and snagging something with more preamps right off the bat as well as something that could utilise something like D8 down the road.

I don't think I could stand going back to 8 let alone 4 mic pres but 8 is the absolute minimum in my opinion (2 OH, 3 tom, 2 snare, and kick). I have 18 at the moment and can expand up to 26 if I ever wanted.

Back