Best external recorder for microphone?

Janek Zegar

Hi!

Recently I've bought Rode Videomic Pro and everything is great, except that my camera does not have an audio output.

So my question is - what is the best external recorder/dictaphone for recording my audio with external mic? I don't want to overpay for it, Rode alone costs enough, and it's significant not to lose quality of my audio.

Thanks in advance for help, cheers.

So are you saying that you got the video mike but can't plug it into your camera?

As an option, consider the Zoom handheld recorders.

There are some Tascams slightly cheaper than the Zoom equivalents but, before you spend more money I really think you need to step back and think about your system. The Rode Videomic is designed to mount on a camera--and putting a mic on the camera will never give great results if what you're filming is any distance from the camera. Recording onto an external recorder is going to require you to sync up all your shots in your editor and, for best results you'll need to get the mic in close but that's not really what the videomic is designed for.

Maybe you should change your camera or the mic or save for a recorder...but you need some thought.

Back