Best DAW for recording and or editing audio files.

adosjky

Just as the title asks, what would you consider is the best program for editing audio files?

Thank you.

I've always used good ol' Garageband for recording my guitars/bass. It's very simple to use and manipulate recordings as well.

Just as the title asks, what would you consider is the best program for editing audio files?

That's a question that's been discussed and argued about on music forums for years. Searching through this and other forums will show you that everyone has a different opinion about which DAW is best and everyone wants you to use the DAW they use. Do some searching to get names of popular DAWs (Studio One, Cubase, Samplitude, Bitwig, Mixbus, Reaper, and Digital Performer are some of the more popular names) then download a few of the demos and try them out yourself. Because the best DAW is the one that works best for you.

I agree with [MENTION=192012]Dave Matthews[/MENTION], that if all you want to do is trim, split, maybe normalize or resample, Audacity is about as easy as it gets.

Audacity is my go to for basic, simple editing. If it needs more than what Audacity can do easily I go to Reaper.

Not sure if it makes a difference and maybe others may have some input, are there editors that might be more suited to music versus voice-over. As an example I see Adobe Audition mentioned often in voice over type forums, not so much in a music type of forums.

Audacity is my go to for basic, simple editing. If it needs more than what Audacity can do easily I go to Reaper.

Same tools here. And for live recordings, Boom Recorder. See:

VOSGAMES - Boom Recorder

It's at the same time simple and sophisticated. You can fi, set metering to your liking, but it doesn't do any editing. There's an extensive take and notes system allowing you to identify recordings later.

But it's just a recorder. A perfect compliment to Audacity and REAPER. Mac only, I'm afraid.

Same tools here. And for live recordings, Boom Recorder. See:

VOSGAMES - Boom Recorder

It's at the same time simple and sophisticated. You can fi, set metering to your liking, but it doesn't do any editing. There's an extensive take and notes system allowing you to identify recordings later.

But it's just a recorder. A perfect compliment to Audacity and REAPER. Mac only, I'm afraid.
That's a neat product, with obviously a lot of pro users. I was intrigued until I saw the price :(. I'd have to need something to do more than a dozen tracks (which Logic has done fine on my old MBP) to dig in my pockets for that!

I know. I bought it before the price went up. Way back then, there was a free two-channel version I think.

As the Chinese say: May you live in interesting times. Because of the appstore, junk apps are free or cost a dime. Serious software turned to subscriptions or went up. A lot.

Can you blame the developer?

Many, many other serious apps have vanished. I'd rather have the option to buy and invest, than no option at all.

JUST! To add a couple more licks to this deceased pony?

See my contribution in the Reaper section. This is not a puff for Reaper no, I merely wish to point out that no DAW, AFAIK can 'do it all'. As I stated, I wanted to open the audio from an M4A file and none of my usual proggs would do that. Reaper did. Does that mean I shall switch allegiance? No, because 'Exporting' in Reaper, compared to say any Samplitude version is a fiddling bind!

Dave.

With audacity do you get any sort of quantizing functions?
Well, now I think you've strayed a bit from the "recording and or editing audio files" in your title. This is something I'd clearly put into the mixing phase, and probably any modern DAW can do that.

Audacity does have a "Beat Finder" (Analyze menu), but I don't know if that would be what you're looking for, or even what you can do with it!

What are you recording or editing? If it's music, I can't help. If it's spoken word, any Adobe Audition from 1.5 up is great.

Back