best cheap mic for audio recording

deras

i want the best cheap mic i can find, i dont care about durability, only frequency response and signal to noise ratio id rather it have a native 1/4 or 1/8 connector since i dont want to buy and xlr adapter... i plan to use it though a guitar multi fx unit like the boss gt 3... that way i dont have to buy an additional preamp and i can add effects...
any ideas i dont want to spend over a hundred, the shure 57 and 58 dont have the largest frequency response... and their durability pluses are lost on me, plus they are xlr... i found a 30 dollar audio technica mini mike with 50 to 18k freq response but i dont know if thats any good or not any ideas

Frequency response isn't the most important spec of a mic. It's what it sounds like that's more important. Also, don't forget to check S/N ratio...I used to have a cheap Audio-Technica mic and it hissed worse than a mad Savannah monitor.

well shure doesnt even list the signal to noise ratio of the sm57 or 58, do you know a benchmarking site that does, or what signal to noise ratio have you calculated for them and how do they compare to the akg 1000s... any other advice of a low signal to noise ratio affordable mic, under 100, would be appreciated

My guess is that the reason that the S/N of those mics isn't listed is that dynamic mics don't have any internal electrical noise because there's no electronics in them, so it's effectively zero. The AKG C1000S isn't anywhere near under $100, though, but if you can get one for near that price it would satisfy you I'm sure!

Although I use an AKG 3000 for vocals in my studio, I do have a pair of Peavey mics on standby. Cost should be a bit over 100....I can't remember exactly. But as most responders say, "go to Radio Shack for a good cheap mic???"

Try renting a mic for 3 months. Many dealers will rent items. Call Full Compass and ask for Amy: 1-800356-5844 or E-mail at:
www.fullcompass.com

The Green Hornet

Check the Sunday paper for the next
Radio Shack sale....they usually have one or two microphones on sale in each flyer.

I have several of them, different models over the years. They are cheap! $29-59
bucks. They don't sound too bad either,
but the biggest problem I have had is that
they make noise when you bump the Mic stand. They are"Microphonic" through the case of the Microphone. If you keep it on the stand and don't bump it, it could be just what you want?

Dom Franco

Back