Behringer XENYX X1204USB??

AddisonXI

Argumentative...
Hi, I am completely oblivious on how to record in a home studio. I am a musician of sorts and I'm trying to learn to record my music just for personal hobby. I've read on the newbie board about audio interface and have a slightly better understanding of the equipment. I know this board may seem like overkill for a newbie but I was wondering what all of you thought. Am I even looking at a piece of equipment that can be used for home recording? I doubt my recordings will be complex at first and won't use a drum set(probably just an electronic piano or beat software). I intend to just record guitar, bass, and vocals. Also, I have a small budget. Having two kids and a family puts a strain on things. So I don't need anything too fancy, and under 200 dollars seems reasonable. Thanks for your help guys ^_^

Yes, it will work but it may or may not be a good choice for you. As usual, "it depends" on where your priorities lie.

Despite all the inputs and knobs, the mixer is only a two in, two out USB interface to your computer. I probably has lots of features you don't need/shouldn't use. The channel EQs are pretty rubbish compared to what you can do in any decent bit of DAW software. Similarly, the onboard effects are nowhere near as good as the plug ins you'll have access to--and latency will make it difficult to use them as well.

Finally, the mic pre-amps are very much to a price and can get somewhat noisy if you ever have to turn the input gain up past about 3 o'clock. From a quality point of view, spending your budget on a basic two in/two out interace (M-Audio Fast Track Pro for example, but there are tons equally as good).

However, there are things a mixer can be useful for. First, if you have multiple sources you can leave them all plugged in and not have to change cabling every time you change instrument. Second, some people find a bit of reverb on their voices (in monitoring only, don't record it) helps them. Third, using auxes to set up your headphone monitoring can be more convenient than trying to do it in the box.

So...I'm afraid you have some choices only you can make!

You have already helped me a great deal :) How bout I give some input and you point me in the right direction. I want something that is simple to begin with but that allows for a little leadway once I get a little better and won't want something new already. Something I can test the waters with. My budget is basically no more than 200. Can I add reverb to vocals through software or is that something specifically for hardware. I was looking at Tweakheads guide and saw he mentioned the m-audio fast track(but multiple ones, I'm trying to understand the PROs of each one. It seems like a good start though. M-Audio Fast Track Ultra <--- I like this one. A bit more than I'd like..but any experience or thoughts. Sorry for the silly questions. Just very excited about this and feeling like a kid in a candy store. Thanks again.

Oi Addison.. heaad over to the Newbies forum and start reading... there are plenty of threads there dealing with your situation.

And the first thing to buy is definitely not a mixer.... if you already have one, yes it can be useful, but the standard route these days is to use an audio interface as my compatriot El Bobbo is recommended.

You can trust him. He's a Queenslander.... (of sorts...) :D

And the first thing to buy is definitely not a mixer.... if you already have one, yes it can be useful, but the standard route these days is to use an audio interface as my compatriot El Bobbo is recommended.

I agree--the first thing to buy is definitely not a mixer. Especially the Behringer Xenyx series ones...I've heard bad things about them. Noisy preamps, shoddy connections, bad usb signals. But hey, what can you really expect? ;)

Hey! I've been a Queenslander for four years and 3 days now!

Armistice is right about doing a bit of reading in the FAQ section--there's lot's of good stuff there. It's worth making a mug of coffee and working through it.

I also think Armistice is right to steer you away from the Behringer mixer. Yes, you MAY decide you want to grow into having a mixer in the future (but a lot of people never do any more than work "in the box"). However, if and when you do decide you need a mixer to achieve something, I suspect the Behringer Xenyx wouldn't be the one you want.

As for audio interfaces, I know and like the M-Audio range but there are others out there equally good--I just have less experience with them. Re-reading what you want to record (and assuming you will be playing each instrument one at a time?) then you likely don't gain anything by going to the Fast Track Ultra. The Fast Track Pro can handle two microphones at once or a mic and an instrument, It can take a stereo feed from and electric piano and also handles MIDI if you decide to use your keyboard as a MIDI source. It provides phantom power if you have a condenser mic and has two inserts if you decide to get into the world of an outboard rack. Basically, for now at least, you might be better off spending extra money on another or better mic than an interface with 4 mic pre-amps....but that's me sitting in sunny Australia trying to second guess you!

If money is REALLY tight you could also look at the M-Audio Mobile Pre which would almost certainly do for now--but provide a bit less room for growth. However, that's me second guessing you again.

Anyhow, have a read of those FAQs and then have fun doing some recording!

I bought a Xenyx and took it back the next day - the preamps didn't cut it. Find a 2-channel audio interface within our price range - there are quite a few.
Reaper is a free DAW (Software) to try out (pay $40 when you can) and has all the f/x like reverb you are ever likely to need.

Thank you guys again. I sometimes just get stars in my eyes and can't see what's best. I'm definitely dedicating more time to reading all the FAQs I can. I'm a very indecisive person when it comes to think I don't know much about. I'm going to save up for the Pro. I really don't need all the extra mic channels, etc. on the Ultra. You guys have been too kind and I look forward to hopefully becoming apart of this community. See you in the newbie section for awhile ^_^

Having a board can be useful, but for what you seemed to want to do, you'd be better off spending that money on an interface that has mic amps on it with the possibility of inputting other signals later down the line. Check out the range of Tascam units they are doing now... and have a read of this for other bits and pieces...MixTips: Building a Home Studio On a Budget

Thank you guys again. I sometimes just get stars in my eyes and can't see what's best. I'm definitely dedicating more time to reading all the FAQs I can. I'm a very indecisive person when it comes to think I don't know much about. I'm going to save up for the Pro. I really don't need all the extra mic channels, etc. on the Ultra. You guys have been too kind and I look forward to hopefully becoming apart of this community. See you in the newbie section for awhile ^_^

I have a Behringer Xenyx Mixer 1024USB, and just a mic and the USB cord, the comp is not picking up the mic that is connected. What should I do?

1) Don't tag onto a 3 year old thread, start a new one.
2) Don't ask the same question in different areas of the forum.

What DAW (recording software) are you using? You need to set the input device in the DAW to the Xenyx (assuming you have downloaded and installed the Behringer ASIO drivers.

Back