Begringer Eurorack UB802 tricks for multitrack solo recording

SB4

I've had a UB802 for a long time and am just getting down to trying to record some music, putting down multiple tracks, one at a time, while listening to the previously recorded tracks for artistic blend and timing -- the usual setup for single artist studio recording.

I found a serious flaw in the Begringer Eurorack UB802 mixer design that is making this simple objective difficult. The problem is that there is seemingly no way to feed a previously recorded signal into your headphones along with your new signal so you can hear some kind of mix while you play and record the new track. The console allows you to select either an external source or your current mix that you want to record, but no facility to mix the two together. So for instance, if I record a guitar track then want to record a track of myself singing to it, I can either listen to my guitar track or my voice in the headphones, but not a mix of the two -- at least not an intelligent mix.

There are some workarounds, none perfect that I have found, but it seems an obvious design flaw that you cannot mix the "tape in" signal with the "main out" signal just in your headphones, without adding the "tape in" to your main out signal (you only want the current mix to go out to your new track).

For example, adding a "balance" mixing pot to the headphone section instead of the simplistic "tape to control room" button would allow you to mix the "tape in" with the "main mix" in your headphones instead of choosing one or the other. I suppose you might need a "pan" control also for the main mix into the headphones in case your signal is in only one channel, because it is generally easier to hear your playing in both ears while performing - but that would be useful regardless of whether you are monitoring the "tape in" source or not. A simple "stereo to mono" button for the headphones would also be a way to hear everything the same in both ears, another handy thing that was omitted.

Ok, so what to do about it. Looking at the block diagram, I think I see a couple of ways to get by, not ideal though. One way is to feed your "accompaniment" signal into, say, the right channel of one of the line inputs, and feed your recording mike to the left channel of one of the mic inputs (using pan control to force it "left"). Then feed only the left channel (microphone) of the main mix output to your recording device, recording the mono signal without the accompaniment from the right channel. In your headphones you'll hear the left channel in the left ear, and the right channel (your accompaniment) in your right ear. That's not ideal, I'd rather hear a balanced mix in both ears, but at least you can keep time and roughly adjust your singing volume etc to the accompaniment. You lose the ability to record a stereo mix, but when laying down tracks one-at-a-time, that can be acceptable.

Here's another way that might work with the advantage of hearing a balanced mix in the headphones. It still limits you to recording a mono output and you lose the master volume "main mix" control, but you may be able to do okay with other mixer gain and level controls:

Instead of using the "Main Mix" out to record your track, you will use the "FX Send" output signal to record your new track, and use the Main Mix signal purely for headphone monitoring.

Here is an example setup. While recording, as before, the guitar track from your recorder will be played while a new track is recorded. If the guitar track is a mono signal, it will be fed into one of the mic inputs of the UB802 (say MIC 2) and panned equally onto the left and right channels and the gain turned down to "LINE" level. If your guitar track is stereo, just feed it into a line input and balance it with the BALANCE knob to your liking. Your mic will be fed as before into a mic input, say Mic 1, and panned equally into the left and right channels, setting gain appropriately.

You will then use the FX control of only the mic (singing) input to send the signal to the "FX SEND" output (mono) by choosing some volume that looks good. On the guitar input, turn the FX control all the way down so none of the signal mixes in to the "FX SEND" signal. Now you just have your voice going out the "FX SEND" output.

However, you by panning to both LEFT and RIGHT channels equally, your singing and guitar should both be roughly identical in the Main Mix, which you will be monitoring with your headphones. So now you should hear a reasonable mix of your voice and accompaniment in your headphones, while only your voice will be coming out the "FX SEND" output which you will record to your new track.

This is a lot of hoops to jump through and uses up input channels in a somewhat wasteful way, but for recording one instrument/voice at a time, may work acceptably. Hopefully the signal coming out the FX SEND output will have enough level to drive the line input of typical computer audio cards or a tape recorder.

If anyone finds a better way, please add your ideas. Also, if someone knows of a better inexpensive mixer for this purpose (mixing accompaniment and new material in the headphones with only the new material going to the Main Mix output), please let us know.

-SB

P.S. For those who like looking at schematic/diagrams, the second technique using the FX SEND as the output for the new track is determined by the fact that the FX knob on each input is "post fader", meaning the LEVEL knob on each input controls the volume of that input signal to both the main mix and the FX SEND simulteneously. If the FX knob had been "pre fader", then you probably could have used the FX SEND for your headphones and saved the main mix for your new recorded signal (turning the LEVEL signal down for the guitar track), probably a slightly better arrangement.

Last edited:
One can plug fones into the regular computer headphone jack

That was my thought.

Running your existing tracks through the Beri just seems like you're over-thinking it. It's not like you want your existing tracks to affect the incoming one(s), right? Just treat your board as an input-only device and run your phones right from your computer/interface.

Well, the instruction manual has hook-up diagrams that should be taken with a grain of salt. I don't know about the UB, but I have two B. mixers. Once I tried the diagram, I went shopping for a mixer and found a old Tascam m-106 for $35. With the recent Behringer, I made sure I got my asignables and sub groups - more than I wanted to spend, but if you need it, you need it

Yes, thanks to both of you regarding the computer headphone jack. I'll look into that (maybe that's how I used to do it). My audio board does come with a software mixer and a routing panel that should let me configure that solution I hope. I'm not quite sure yet where the mixing should take place for monitoring it in the headphones -- the recording software or the board software mixer. My main recording software is a fairly ancient (but excellent) version of Cakewalk that records both midi and analog audio tracks, maybe it can put out a monitoring mix while recording a new track. It's been a while since using it so getting back up to speed.

However, I'd still like to have that monitoring capability in a hardware mixer independent of whatever recording device I'm using (old tape, etc). You are correct, I don't want the existing tracks to affect the incoming ones yet do want to still hear them mixed in, that is the exact issue and so came up with stop-gap ways to accomplish it with the UB802.

Not sure I understand how your gear works, but extra mixers would help for sure.

I'm not in the habit of chaining mixers, yet, but that is on the horizon as I gots too many synths i want to run at once : )

The old Tascam has sub in -1,2,3,4. In theory, I could plug the out of the Behringer 1002FX into 1 & 2, and plug the out of the Behringer qx2442USB into 3 & 4

Attachments

• sub_in.jpg
    sub_in.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 14
One possible flaw in the idea of using the PC's OBS headphone output is that maybe you can't! Windows might only allow ONE audio device to operate at a time and if the USB mixer has taken that 'slot'?

The other downside is that you almost certainly are not and cannot use ASIO drivers and thus latency might be so bad that 'playing along' is impossible. Rather than buying another mixer a separate headphone amplifier and passive control/summing might be a solution?

End of day, this is why Audio Interfaces were invented! The U802 mixer will still be useful but I would look at something like the Steinberg UR22. Even better, more ins/outs, is the Native Instruments KA6.

Dave.

What this boils down to is that the 802 is not really suitable for serious recording. A tool that requires work-rounds or second-best options is not a good tool. It sounds like OP has out-grown it and it is time to advance.

Agree with gecko.

This is not a 'design flaw' of the Eurorack...because it is not what it was designed to do.
It's time to move up.

Back