Beef up track with string section?

nessbass

Hi guys,

I will soon be recording with my band again. Thinking about it, I said to myself that a string sound would be perfect for one of the songs. It's a straight-forward trio rock song, with a chorus that has a quite 'paddy' quality to it. My idea was to enhance this quality by a nice, warm and mellow string chord sound. I definitely don't want a synth sound, but can't afford to pay for a real string section just to know that it sounds like sh*t in the end. It's not that I want an 80-people-symphonic-orchestra kinda sound, but even a classical string quartet isn't inexpensive. So, I'm just going to be experimenting here. I think I have some quite good sounfonts at hand to let it give a realistic impression.
My question now is:
Does anybody of you have experience in doing things like these? How should I attack this?
Anybody?

Thanks in advance,

David.

Well, depending on your equipment, there are several things you could do. Since you mentioned Sound Fonts, I assume you have some sort of computer based midi sequencer. Are you recording your (non midi) audio on a seperate recorder like a Tascam, or right on the computer useing something like Cakewalk? If you are using Cakewalk, no problem at all. Just record a track of midi strings along with your audio. If you have an external recorder, you could either play the midi strings right onto a track and record it as audio, or you could get a midi cable and sync your recorder up to you sequencer and just record the midi data on your sequencer. If you are short on tracks, I would recomend the sync method. If you have plenty of tracks, are confident in your keyboard playing ability, and don't want the hassle of syncing two machines, just record the strings right to an audio track.

Thanks for your reply...

I'm using Logic Audio, so MIDI and tracks etc shouldn't be much of a problem. Any tips on how many violins/violas/cellos I should go for? How can I separate them? Do I have to separate them or is it best to leave them sound identical to get a fuller sound? I thought about giving each track different pitch + delay setting, vary the vibrato if possible/necessary etc.

I use Logic with a JV 1010 module.I like running the strings through my rearfields and setting up a good condensor mic in a live room and recording the sound to an audio track.I sometimes use a compressor and some eq boost at 10k or 15k for some air.You can use the audio by itself or mix it with the midi track.I find the audio track is more pleasing in most cases but I have mixed the two with good results.

Monty,

I've been trying a tip I read somewhere to make strings sound
better(midi strings). So I clone the track. The guy I read the
reccomendation from in the Cakewalk.com newsgroup said
he dupes his string parts seven times. Then, for some, he
chooses new string patches. Or he'll delay some in the time
box. Then when he mixes them down, he pans some hard right
and some hard left. Right now, I'm just experimenting.

PaulB

this is probably something you've all thought about but ... here it comes - my 2 cents
I use to play 3 or 4 patterns and pan them out, or as someone else suggested delay them just a bit and pan, make some "chase'a'like" so they don't play the exact same figure.
Use some verb, and place them different in it. By the way - I don't like the idea of panning hard L-R, there's something in between ;)
hope someone can use this
bizz

You probably aren't in a position to do this, but I think it's so cool. You get a small number of string players together in a decent room. They play the part through and you record it. Then they all move their chairs to new positions in the room, sitting where other string players would sit if they were playing, and they play the same part again, which you record.

Repeat this procedure to your heart's content. Each take will have a different sound on the violins, depending where in the room the players sit. You need a good room for this. And time.

Get ahold of a local youth orchestra. :D

Actually my sisters used to play in a youth symphony and they sounded amazing...(they even did a performance of the Firebird Suite which was awesome) If you pulled it off, they may very well do it for free...if there is any such orchestra in your area...
As far as high school orchestras go, I have yet to find one that impresses me, but this wasn't a high school orchestra, so there's a distinction there...

It's just a thought...

Isaiah

take advantage of your local univ. music program.
post a flyer with something like:
HEY STRING PLAYERS!
WANT TO BE ON A CD???

If you post it they will call.......

On local records that I have produced, I've even held contests for CD cover art work,logos, posting a flyer at the school of art and giving the winner a cash prize or gift certificate to art store ($150ish).

There are a lot of talented kids in school these days

Sorry guys, I haven't been here for a while...

Thank you all so very much for your input, I think I will try to use some of your tips, maybe I ask back at my old school or something, maybe there are some talented kids...

Again, thanks to all of you!

David.

Strings???

Try the Roland Guitar Synth....The thing is amazing...if you use it right, and don't over-produce.

Back