Bass DI

andrushkiwt

Please check the clip below and let me know what you'd do to get rid of the hum/hiss in the bass DI. Here's the flow:

- wall outlet > surge protector Amazon.com: APC 8-Outlet Surge Protector 2630 Joules with USB Charger Ports, SurgeArrest (P8U2): Electronics > Micro DI Amazon.com: Mooer MDI1 Micro DI: Musical Instruments > XLR from DI to USB interface & 1/4" (GLS 6') from DI to bass > DAW.

I've bypassed the DI and it didn't help at all. Hum still there and the same as in the clip below. If you must know, the DI is for the guitars, really. My Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 clips them on their lowest volume, and this thing has done wonders reducing input gain into the interface with its -20db pad. I turn the pad off for the bass, since that instrument does not clip the interface.

DAW-wise, sure, lots of compression going on for bass, so that isn't helping.

Here's the EQ screenshot during the loudest hiss/hum in the clip:

Screenshot (9).png

And, finally, the clip:

Dropbox - Bass(2).wav

It isn't much of a problem during the full mix, but it becomes a pain during fadeouts or anywhere that I want the "sound" of plugged in instruments, but without them playing anything. Sometimes that "amp turned on" sound gives a little feeling toward a live recording, rather than complete silence that digital can bring.

My opinion is that it is something inside the bass output jack. A little jiggle of the jack gives more crackling. The cable itself is tightened fully, as are the outer pieces of the bass jack.

Thanks for any help and let me know what info you still need.

Last edited:
Audio link didn't work - got an error. Is it hum (low frequency) or hiss (sound of a snake 'ssssss')? Hum is usually a ground issue (does it change if you move around the room?) Hiss is general noise.

Well, I had to really ramp the gain up as it was at first, I thought, an empty track, but once I did the noise is pretty invasive, and sounds like a cable issue allowing interference in, but could be the bass itself having poor screening - but I'd swap out the cable to test this. You say you don't need the DI, so have you gone directly in and got the same issue? It's going to be trial and error, but I wonder if the bass is very low output and the buzz is just the usual low level stuff but the bass just hasn't the output. Does it change with pickup and volume/tone controls?

Audio link didn't work - got an error. Is it hum (low frequency) or hiss (sound of a snake 'ssssss')?

It won't allow streaming, for some reason, for that file. It can be downloaded, however. And...it's both. You can see that by looking at the EQ shot above. That was captured at the peak of the noise.

I heard a ground buzz come in and go out, but why is the volume so low? That would seem to be the general problem, the bass's output is almost non-existent. How old are the pickups?

I heard a ground buzz come in and go out, but why is the volume so low? That would seem to be the general problem, the bass's output is almost non-existent. How old are the pickups?

No, it has plenty of output. My interface will clip the bass around 4/10 input and the green indicator is lit continuously around the 2/10 mark. This bass is taken from a current mix, where there are many plugins and gain changes between each one, including Amplitube and multiple compressors.

Take it that it isn't an input volume issue, please. If you need to hear that, I can upload a new track this weekend.

Two questions: what kind of bass are you using and why not just plug directly into the 2i2 without all the other stuff?

Ok a third question: desktop or laptop?

Laptop. I've stated that ive plugged right into the interface, without the DI, and it has the same issue.

The output of the DI is plugged into the Focusrite via XLR, and the input is plugged into the bass via 1/4".

Is the noise present without an instrument plugged in? Working backwards through the various connections and cables eliminating one at a time will generally spot the culprit. If it only happens when the bass is plugged in then "It's The Bass". Something isn't shielded/grounded/cold solder joint/bad cable etc.....

Is the noise present without an instrument plugged in? Working backwards through the various connections and cables eliminating one at a time will generally spot the culprit. If it only happens when the bass is plugged in then "It's The Bass". Something isn't shielded/grounded/cold solder joint/bad cable etc.....

All's good until I plug the bass in. Worse when I wiggle it. I'm thinking it's the bass as well. Ill take it in for a look...obviously not a do-it-yourself person when it comes to the innards. :)

Sounds like it's a bass guitar problem, have you got another bass or electric guitar around that you can plug in and check it out?

Alan.

Sounds like it's a bass guitar problem, have you got another bass or electric guitar around that you can plug in and check it out?

Alan.

I wrote earlier that the guitar doesn't have as much of a problem. It's not completely silent, there's some hum, but not as bad as the bass.

You've tried different 1/4" instrument cables, right? I had one that is not good with my Tele, but fine with other instruments. I tossed it.

Some basses are noisier than others. Jazz basses can be noisy unless the pickup volumes are set the same though their single coils are almost always slightly noisier than most Precision style basses.

If it's noisier depending on the bass orientation, e.g. If you stand still and simply turn slowly through 180 degrees and the hum increases decreases, you've got some really noisy house wiring or lighting issues.

I'd test without anything but the interface and a good quality, short-ish instrument cable only. Run the laptop on battery power, interface set to INST. even turn off lights or replace CFLs with LEDs. If it's still noisy try a P-bass and compare that.

I put noiseless pickups in my Jazz bass. Made a huge difference. I ether record direct or sometimes use the amp's DI out, but that's line level.

Back