Background/static Noise occurring when recording an electronic keyboard

Uploadfiles.io - Audio 1.aif

Here is another file for you guys. It's .aif extension (I am using Logic, couldn't figure out how to do .wav, but i heard they are interchangable)

I also switched back the left and right for audio input (oops, good catch there [MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION])

Last edited:
Grr! I thought nothing I had would open an .aif file unless I installed Quicktime and I avoid all things Apple! But! Audacity came to the rescue!

So, Tensyume, get Audacity for mac and you can export .aifs as .wav. Your clip now plays in Sampltude Silver.

Dave.

OOPS. Wait how did you know that I accidentally switched the stereo. (Audio geniuses over here...)

The sound was reversed.
I couldn't make any meaningful comparison like that. Just sounds like two different pianos.

Also you said you didn't hear a difference in tone or any hiss to worth worrying about, does that mean you didn't hear anything in both recordings or the latter one?

The latter. Only listened on cheap headphones but, like you said, there's a substantial improvement. :)

Uploadfiles.io - Audio 1.aif

Here is another file for you guys. It's .aif extension (I am using Logic, couldn't figure out how to do .wav, but i heard they are interchangable)

I also switched back the left and right for audio input (oops, good catch there [MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION])
If you're using Logic, you can change the file type in Preferences->Recording from AIFF to WAV, if you want to, but as mentioned, they're directly convertible (non-lossy) to WAV in something like Audacity.

It would have been useful to have that file (original recorded media?) with some of the silence at the beginning and end or in the middle. There was a little "peep" right at the beginning that covered up most of the little bit there and it just faded at the end. But, regardless, I normalized it to -1dB in Audacity and don't hear anything at all like the previous files. The very last .1s is pretty much dead silent but I don't know if I'm hearing part of the recorded track or just a bit where nothing was on!

"It would have been useful to have that file (original recorded media?) with some of the silence at the beginning and end or in the middle"

^ Abso-freakin-lootly Keith! To think I arose from my sick bed to do post #64 AND a fekking drawing explaining the test procedure I wanted!

Heh! Noobs 'eh?

Dave.

"It would have been useful to have that file (original recorded media?) with some of the silence at the beginning and end or in the middle"

^ Abso-freakin-lootly Keith! To think I arose from my sick bed to do post #64 AND a fekking drawing explaining the test procedure I wanted!

Heh! Noobs 'eh?

Dave.

Hehe please forgive my noobn3ss. You know what they say... When you are dumb, it will cost Ya more money (which is why I just went and bought the new audio interface)

I really did appreciate your drawing (especially if you arose from your sick bed...) so thank you so much for that.

Also I will upload another file soon with silence in the beginning and end. Stay tuned!

Edit: here is the new file with silence recording beginning/end Uploadfiles.io - Exported.wav

Last edited:
I think we did it guys. The new audio interface seems to produce the result I am pretty happy with :)

Just for reference, I will upload the before (when I first wrote this thread) and after (the one I just recorded now at different level outputs from keyboard, low level to high (making sure to not go over -5 and average -13 like someone on this thread said :D ))

Before: View attachment 101209

After: View attachment 101208

What do you guys think?

I guess there is still a LITTLE bit of that white noise even with the new Audio interface, but I would say it's a HUGE improvement from before. ..

Tensyume, the track with the new interface seems to have an improved noise level by a good ten db or more -that's significant!
I'm really curious now and assuming my post 63 made sense(?), would you be willing to try that test?

63 said:
.. A quick test would be arm the record inputs, without playing anything, watch the noise levels on the record meters (in Logic was it?), while turning the Nord's 'level knob up or down. ...
(Might the lower noise have come from your being able to open up the level on the keyboard, or... :>)

(Chrome wouldn't let me open the last few samples.

Tensyume, the track with the new interface seems to have an improved noise level by a good ten db or more -that's significant!
I'm really curious now and assuming my post 63 made sense(?), would you be willing to try that test?

(Might the lower noise have come from your being able to open up the level on the keyboard, or... :>)

(Chrome wouldn't let me open the last few samples.

Send Anywhere - File Transfer

Here is the test file :)

Sorry that won't work. I guess you misunderstood but that's ok. Communication can be tough.
The idea is to be able to see (compare) the noise level in two static gains setups. The only time you can see it, is when you're not playing. (I was watching the meters at the head of your 1st and later 'new I/F sample).
But both of them -as a 'common ref' peaked up near max by way of the combined record level gains you had. (Nord + I/F settings) -whatever those might have been(?). The new one with much lower noise floor.
You're probably sick to death of this (and -70 -- 75 ain't bad at all :>)
Maybe a way to cut to the chase..
With you monitor cranked up (very carefully -without playing ;) raise and lower the Nord output level. Does the hiss go up and down?

Much better!
The baseline noise is -76dBFS pk and that is probably as good as you will get. There is still something blipping up to -58dBF pk but that is still an acceptable S/N ratio.

Notable that there is a complete absence of power line artefact. These often show at 50/60Hz and 100/120Hz.

So, I think we got there? Newbs take note? When tracing noise we need SILENCE! (and a ref' level)

Dave.

Attachments

• Spectrumdeblipped.png
    Spectrumdeblipped.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 16
Much better!
The baseline noise is -76dBFS pk and that is probably as good as you will get. There is still something blipping up to -58dBF pk but that is still an acceptable S/N ratio.

Notable that there is a complete absence of power line artefact. These often show at 50/60Hz and 100/120Hz.

So, I think we got there? Newbs take note? When tracing noise we need SILENCE! (and a ref' level)

Dave.

Ahhhh I see what you guys mean. Alright after work I will record that emptiness for science..

I hate to seem obtuse, but why are you recording a $3,000 piano through a $100 interface? It ain't gonna provide satisfactory results. Additionally, why bother recording in stereo? I'd suggest routing a single cable out of the Nord's channel 1, but be sure to switch the keyboard's output to mono (there's a physical switch). I guarantee you will get a better recording.

nord-stage-2-76hp-panel.jpg

Hold down the Shift/Exit key and hit the Slot A button. The Mono Output indicator will light up.

I hate to seem obtuse, but why are you recording a $3,000 piano through a $100 interface? It ain't gonna provide satisfactory results. Additionally, why bother recording in stereo? I'd suggest routing a single cable out of the Nord's channel 1, but be sure to switch the keyboard's output to mono (there's a physical switch). I guarantee you will get a better recording.

View attachment 101414

Hold down the Shift/Exit key and hit the Slot A button. The Mono Output indicator will light up.
You seem familiar with or have this rig?
If you do (or are :>) I still have a question- re what this was always about - S/N on kit' and or output.

You seem familiar with or have this rig?
If you do (or are :>) I still have a question- re what this was always about - S/N on kit' and or output.

Please restate your question. Not sure what you're asking.

I have been playing a NORD Stage 2 live and in studio for years. I can probably help you out. :)

Please restate your question. Not sure what you're asking.
I have been playing a NORD Stage 2 live and in studio for years. I can probably help you out. :)
Of course. I appreciate it.
This whole thread began with a question of a Nord track S/N ratio of about -60dB or so. It was referred to as 'static initially, but I heard simple hiss in the sample's intro before the paying began.

That was later improved to a sample coming in at around -70dB. The improvement coincided and presumed related to a new interface.
In post 63 I attempted to inquire- if the improvement was due to the new interface, or due to using the Nord at a higher output level -allowed by the now true line level capable I/F. (Or perhaps both.
The question posed was - Is the best S/N ratio from the Nords achieved by using them in the top end of their output range?
Put another way -and the test asked- might the Nords noise level be (relatively) constant and rather independent of the output settings?

I see this in on the analog outs on some midi keyboards- Raise the patch velocities and the 'instrument's level comes up out of their back ground noise.
Wondering if that was the case here too.

mixsit post 63 said:
[snip]...I ask as sometimes, circuits can adjust the signal level, w/o effecting the general output stage noise level.

A quick test would be arm the record inputs, without playing anything, watch the noise levels on the record meters [snip] while turning the Nord's 'level knob up or down.

This is a heck of a lot of speculation here. But the best S/N here could be with the keyboard at 'full out.
If this pans out..? All you need is a pair of in-line pads -or D/I's w/pads into the mic XLR's. And in which case, you would be at the best case s/n from keyboard, with the pads attenuating both the keyboard's 'level -and it's noise floor-
The questions come back around to what is the best S/N you expect from these instruments?
I saw one ref that suggested it could be a heck of a lot better than ' -70'.

Back