Background/static Noise occurring when recording an electronic keyboard

I don't remember if it's been asked and eliminated... Have you confirmed what ever noise ("static"?) isn't coming from the instrument? -rather than the a result of the recording?

I don't remember if it's been asked and eliminated... Have you confirmed what ever noise ("static"?) isn't coming from the instrument? -rather than the a result of the recording?

It's a brand new instrument (bought 2 weeks ago) so I assumed not or at least very unlikely. would not even know how i would go about testing it though?

The second one (With DI.mp3) doesn't have any noise at all, compared to other files you've uploaded.

I'm still bothered about the gain set to zero on the Presonus. It shouldn't be recording anything! What is the input level measured at the DAW when your fader for those channels is set at zero (centered)?

The -20dB one sounds like it was recorded too low, so you should have raised the gain at the Presonus to create a signal averaging -12dB with -6dB peaks, while your fader is centered - just a rule of thumb, of course, but the idea is to have the levels right at the right place. The -20dB one suggests that something's wrong with your gain staging, IMO. I'd try to get that to work, instead of working with a gain of zero at the Presonus, if possible, at least.

I turned the dial to middle for inst 1 and 2 and instead set master level from piano higher. As a result I am getting -17 average signals with -6 peaks which is around what you said.

But yeah,, I am still getting static noise. You noted that With DI.mp3 did not have any noise at all but I just compared with one of the first ones and for me the static level is about the same.

Below is recorded at 20dB attenuation, 2ch, gnd, middle faders on Presonus. Not quite sure what the "main" knob does. I just turn that one all the way to left (doesn't seem to make any difference)

View attachment More piano volume, middle faders.mp3

It's a brand new instrument (bought 2 weeks ago) so I assumed not or at least very unlikely. would not even know how i would go about testing it though?

Plug the analog outs direct to some speakers, or the keyboard's headphone out, would eliminate 'recording caused problems.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=101132&d=1510967419

Please define 'static'.

**I may be hearing some 'saturation like artifacts, particularly in the first half -actually the lower volume parts. ... **Added later; Certainly not as clear and open' as the one youtube demo I clicked on.
(I say maybe as I noticed it on the speakers, but not my headphones.)
'static.. I think 'crackles' -sharp noises. Not hearing that.

Last edited:
I turned the dial to middle for inst 1 and 2 and instead set master level from piano higher. As a result I am getting -17 average signals with -6 peaks which is around what you said.

But yeah,, I am still getting static noise. You noted that With DI.mp3 did not have any noise at all but I just compared with one of the first ones and for me the static level is about the same.

Below is recorded at 20dB attenuation, 2ch, gnd, middle faders on Presonus. Not quite sure what the "main" knob does. I just turn that one all the way to left (doesn't seem to make any difference)
It actually does have a little bit of noise, so I think the question is whether it's the Nord or Presonus preamps. No way I can tell from here. The only way to know for sure at this point is to substitute either a different keyboard or interface.

You could experiment with the piano level and Presonus Inst/Mic settings to see if there's a "sweet spot" that gets your noise to a minimum. Perhaps it is with both of them dialed way back and the DI at zero.

The Main knob is for your monitor outputs, which I assume you don't have any connected?

Attached are the spectra of the noise parts. There seems to be none of the artefacts you would associate with a 'ground' loop. Indeed the B awful result with the ground lifted* reinforces that there is none.

The next test is to prove where the noise is coming from (-46dBfs is a poor noise floor) . Setup the gear again, as before for the best result. Then just pull the JACK plugs out of the DI box. TOUCH NOTHING. Make a 30 second recording and post as MP3. Next, pull the XLRs out of the ABox and make another test recording.

Has to be said! That Berry DI has a reputation for being noisy. However, that is I think in the context of the much lower levels of a passive guitar, at line'ish levels it should be all right. Have you tried it on battery power and phantom off?

*Not sure how Behringer do that AND use phantom power? You need the screen for 0 volts. The MUCH worse result with the earth lifted causes me pause. You might not have the whole..PC, Kbd, AI, di-da EARTHED!

BTW.. "Zero dB" as a gain setting is not 'infinite' attenuation.
Dave.

Attachments

• Spec 20dB joe.png
    Spec 20dB joe.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 6
  • spec with di j.png
    spec with di j.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Spec with di lift.png
    Spec with di lift.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 6
Plug the analog outs direct to some speakers, or the keyboard's headphone out, would eliminate 'recording caused problems.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=101132&d=1510967419

Please define 'static'.

**I may be hearing some 'saturation like artifacts, particularly in the first half -actually the lower volume parts. ... **Added later; Certainly not as clear and open' as the one youtube demo I clicked on.
(I say maybe as I noticed it on the speakers, but not my headphones.)
'static.. I think 'crackles' -sharp noises. Not hearing that.

Keyboards head phone out is SO clear. Like clearer than any recording i have done. ZERO staticky hum noise whatsoever.

"staticky hum noise" now.
I'm out.

lol. You dont have to be so passive aggressive about this. I posted many recordings here and if you are asking what "static" noise I am referring to, then I think you may have hearing problems at that point, or just didnt give the mp3s a listen. I don't want to start anything. I apologize if my lack of technical knowledge and jargon was bothersome for you.

lol. You dont have to be so passive aggressive about this. I posted many recordings here and if you are asking what "static" noise I am referring to, then I think you may have hearing problems at that point, or just didnt give the mp3s a listen. I don't want to start anything. I apologize if my lack of technical knowledge and jargon was bothersome for you.

No actually I did listen to three of them, in few different ways, plus the youtube that was clearly more open, perhaps wider in bandwidth, and less 'congested' than yours.
I was honestly trying to probe' as to your perception of it.

"I tried to get out. But they pull me bacK..!"
So you know, all's good here my friend :)

"Keyboards head phone out is SO clear."
Please try to plug the main outs as well to any line level direct-to-amp/speaker path. That will eliminate the 'recording system, and/or MP3 artifacts for that mater.

"Keyboards head phone out is SO clear."
Please try to plug the main outs as well to any line level direct-to-amp/speaker path. That will eliminate the 'recording system, and/or MP3 artifacts for that mater.
Trouble shooting 101
Divide, isolate.. And concur! :)

Keyboards head phone out is SO clear. Like clearer than any recording i have done. ZERO staticky hum noise whatsoever.

So ^ try one of these..Cobra Two Mono 1/4 inch Jack To One Stereo Jack Lead - Audio Leads

Headphone output VOLTAGE levels are usually a few dB below 'line' levels although for some reason a lot of people think H/P outs are 'Super Hot!' ?

H/P out also of course has level control so you can adjust to please those wimpy Instru' inputs!

But! Will you PLEASE do the test recordings I asked for? I would love to know WHERE the fault resides. Might help someone else? WHAT we is all here for anyway!

Dave.

If having the earth lifted on the Di causes more noise this whole thing could be a mains supply problem. Is there a good earth on the mains supply? Are the individual components of your studio properly earthed? Are all the components of the studio plugged into the same power outlet?

Alan.

Impedance mismatch?

The two inputs are probably not compatible.
One is for a microphone, the other for an instrument. Different impedances, I would guess.

Hello All,

I have a setup where I have an audio interface (Presonus Audiobox USB) where I connect Left Out and Right Out of my Nord Piano 3 Keyboard to its Mic, Instrument Input (1,2 on the image below).

View attachment 101108

The cable I am using to connect the two:
Amazon.com: Hosa CPP-201 Dual 1/4 inch TS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Interconnect Cable, 3.3 feet: Musical Instruments

I tried recording the sound today using Logic Pro, and I am getting a small background noise in the recording. I have attached my recording below. I play the same song 3 times, each time adjusting the knobs on the audio interface (last one has all the knobs turned down all the way to the left).

I have 48v phantom power off as well.

I don't think knobs are the problem and I am just stuck.

Am i always expected to have this kind of background noise? Or is there a way for me to get rid of them?

Thank you !

The two inputs are probably not compatible.
One is for a microphone, the other for an instrument. Different impedances, I would guess.

A DI is connected to a Microphone input, thats what they are used for to convert an unbalanced line to the balanced XLR. Thats why at the beginning of this thread we told said not to connect a line to the instrument input of the Presonus. Have you read this thread from the start?

Alan.

A DI is connected to a Microphone input, thats what they are used for to convert an unbalanced line to the balanced XLR. Thats why at the beginning of this thread we told said not to connect a line to the instrument input of the Presonus. Have you read this thread from the start?
Alan.
I know that was stated early on, but I want to confirm. Is it not true that if a line output is reduced to match the inst input's acceptable level, not a 'mismatch at all. It represents a transparent low source-to-high impedance load?

I presume (w/o going back through the whole thread again) this was addressed, and hopefully tried pages ago?

Question to those that have listened to these tracks. Do you hear the sound and effect of simply a clipped solid stage stage? I don't.

What's puzzling about this is a) Given Tensyume saying the phones sound fine (i'e. it's not the 'patch that is sounding this way) I don't expect the keyboard's line outs are going to be found faulty'.

On the other hand -don't know, maybe the thing's broke', but wouldn't expect even an inexpensive I/F like this to affect an input in this way.

I wish .. :) I wish I could sit down with this rig, run some stuff, see a waveform.. 30 minutes sigh.. :>)

I suggested a DI in the first instance to supply an earth lift that should have solved the problem, however there is an impedance mismatch between instrument inputs and line input specifications which could have been making the problem worse.

Alan.

JUST!! To nail this almost always irrelevant IMPEDANCE question!

If you connect a low source Z to even a very high input Z (aka 'sink') the WHOLE THING becomes low Z. Think "decent pedal <1k into typical guitar amp ~1,000,000 Ohms!"

The ratio of 1 to 10 is often quoted as the minimum but 1:5 is generally adequate these days. Who said "if the levels are about right a High Z input SHOULD handle a line output"? This is true in the majority of cases.

I brought up the question of whether the whole rig was properly earthed a few days ago. That is a concern living as I do in "240 volt Land"!

Dave.

I am reading these thread comments (which I appreciate everyone's input by the way) and my lack of audio knowledge just hits the walls constantly. I am unsure what you guys would like to see me try. I did buy a new Audio Interface (100$ value) that actually has line inputs and was goign to try with that (it will probably arrive Monday, tomorrow). But if there is anything you guys want me to try, please let me know. I know [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION] asked me to record different configurations, but could you specify what "unplug JACK plugs" mean and by "pull XLRs out" did you mean pull them out while also the "JACK plugs" are plugged out? I also know you talked about everything being earthed, which I really didn't know what it meant (but i assume its something bad..?)

Back