Background sound effects?

Ben Stocks

So there not a lot on the internet about this (none that I can find)

After recording the Rythm, Harmonies and melodies I'm left with a nice song ready to mix. A few listens and I realize its bland and is lacking a certain something... I listened to a few different songs in the same pop/rock genre I'm going for and realized in almost all the songs there is a lot of extra background sounds. For example: UGH! by The 1975

Small guitar licks
An array of percussion instruments
Marimbas
Extra tom drum hits
Ambiant sounds
Synth sounds
ETC ETC! I could go on for hours haha

QUIESTION 1. Does anyone have any advice on where to start with these effects?

QUESTION 2. Is there a term for these background sounds? Would be helpful when googling ideas on what else to go into my song

1) so--you've identified that something is "missing". It may be that you don't need a ton of additional material, so start simple. Add one of the above (say an odd percussion instrument--even as simple as two drumsticks snapping together)--create a motive that you can pop in here and there. Keep the pattern very simple, but let it repeat--maybe bring it in during your pre-chorus or chorus, then drop it out when you come back to the verse. Bring it back at the end.

If that one additional thing doesn't fill it out enough, then grab a contrasting instrument (like a short guitar riff), and play them off each other.

etc, etc. until you love it. It may take awhile, but I think it's better than dumping a whole bunch of stuff in there, and then not knowing what to ditch.

2) a classical and jazz music term for this is sometimes "obbligato" --a counter-melody or accompaniment part to the main melody.

QUESTION 2. Is there a term for these background sounds? Would be helpful when googling ideas on what else to go into my song

I think the term you're looking for is "ear candy" ...it refers to both ornamental elements of the arrangement that arent critical to conveying the melody or harmony (but that can sometimes become an important part of the "hook") as well as sonic effects that contribute to the aural atmosphere of a recording.

I think the term you're looking for is "ear candy" ...it refers to both ornamental elements of the arrangement that arent critical to conveying the melody or harmony (but that can sometimes become an important part of the "hook") as well as sonic effects that contribute to the aural atmosphere of a recording.

That is what I call it. Can be something as simple as a 'triangle' or as complex as a 3 part vocal harmony bed. It is all about how any song creates a feel for the moment. It is that 'ear candy' that can make or break a song. Or sometimes it ruins it. lol

That what production and song building is about and why some make a living at it, and some well, just have fun. For whom the bell tolls...

That what production and song building is about and why some make a living at it, and some well, just have fun. For whom the bell tolls...

This is what I was going to say exactly. Producing. This is just another reason why, in the real world, there is always more than just one person involved in the writing, performing, recording, producing, mixing, and mastering of even a single track. It's easy to get locked in on your song and to hear it only one way - but a fresh set of ears, and a good producer, can help with those intangibles. Pads, synths, random percussion parts, etc... it's also a reason why most of today's pop rock tunes come ready with 80+ tracks. Many of those are one-offs; just simple bits and pieces here and there.

I'd like to hear the tune you're working on, and maybe some of us can help come up with parts or give you ideas at the least. Post in the mp3clinic if you'd like. Good luck

Back