[B]crisper is all i need[/B]

leinad_kpg

hi i'm new here and need help..... im using delta 1010lt along with mackie cfx12. i think i have a problem, every time i record guitars vocal or any sources of sound i dont think i'm getting a crisper and clean sound, i've tried comparing it with samples from other studios and i think i might be missing something. Even while recording bass guitar through direct input through the mixer or miking it with shure sm58, i tend to get a very muddy and boomy sound. So is there any specific way in which i could get as close to a crisper and clean sound, or any hooking up problem with my rig please help

I like SM58 well enough for live vocals, but for studio work there are other options that probably sound more like what you're trying for. Add to that the generally cruddy quality of the CFX mixers and I'm not surprised that you're dissatisfied. I would think about adding a small diaphragm condenser mic to your setup. That would give you more tonal options to choose from.

Also note that practically any cardioid mic, including the SM58, will have increased low and low-mid response within 6" or so of the grill which adds to the boom and mud. You might want to try eqing some of that out or placing the mic farther from the source. But placing it father away will pick up more room sound which may or may not be a good thing.

What DAW are you using? What about the recording volume level? If you're recording too hot, maybe you are clipping causing the bad sound?

well i'm using m audio delta 1010lt with m powered pro tools 7.4 cs3. any of guys have the idea about keeping the ideal input volume in the audio control panel of the sound card may be i might be cranking up hotter signals.... plez help

thnks for the reply, well i do use condenser mics for recording acoustic guitars as well as vocals, even though i feel i'm missing something. i dont get that crisp and fuller sound as compared to others who do own the same rig as mine................ what could be the problem?

it seems like it is the studio that adds up to the boomy thing as well. so what do you think i can do best to minimize this problem?

well i'm using m audio delta 1010lt with m powered pro tools 7.4 cs3. any of guys have the idea about keeping the ideal input volume in the audio control panel of the sound card may be i might be cranking up hotter signals.... plez help

Software control panel levels should be left at the default settings. By the time the signal is in digital form it's too late to prevent clipping so there's no point in using software level controls in the record path.

How do you set levels on your CFX mixer? There are instructions on page 5 of your manual.

it seems like it is the studio that adds up to the boomy thing as well. so what do you think i can do best to minimize this problem?

Treat your room with a few bass traps, use a small diaphragm condenser microphone, and if the mic is directional don't place it too close to the guitar and especially away from the sound hole. Mic choice and placement is often the main reason for a dull sound. Those have vastly more effect than the electronic gear you use.

--Ethan

The simplest way to do it is to walk around the room singing and listen to what you're getting back.

If you stand in a corner and sing it'll probably be very bassy.
Move around and see how it changes.
One or two strategically placed baffles could help a lot, or a reflection filter.

Getting closer to the mic and make a huge difference too if you're not there already.
The closer the source is to the mic, the lower room reflections are recorded, by comparison.

Cutting lows with eq is a common enough thing to. I probably cut the lows out of 99% of what i record, and I'm in a less than ideal environment.
It can be a struggle if the room's no good.

Getting closer to the mic and make a huge difference too if you're not there already.
The closer the source is to the mic, the lower room reflections are recorded, by comparison.

Then proximity effect is increased, so he has to determine whether it's the mic being too close or too far that's causing the boomy sound. It could be both. The two problems may overlap so that there is no way to fix one without getting the other.

You are right, but personally I'd prefer proximity effect and a high pass filter than a muddy sounding room.

OP, BSG is right. You gotta figure out which is the problem.

Back