AW16G effects ??

lyrical2

Hi all,
Does anyone work with the AW16G recorder? Our band likes to record all 8 tracks live at one time during practice. We are making a demo with it.
I am trying to add some vocal effects, guitar effects, and I would like to add some to the drums. Because I am still learning this thing, I havent figured out how I can add effects to all three at the same time.
The manual says that you can only use 2 effects at once through eff1 and eff2. But even then when I try to set the effects like a vocal to eff1 and a guitar to eff2 they still seem to bleed together. When I go to turn eff1 on it will ask me if I want to cancel eff2, and vise versa.

Any help here on this one.

We have already recorded the songs without effects. So I am trying to go back and add them in durring the premix. How can I add effects to 3 different tracks when I am limited to only using 2 at once?

Thanks anyone for your input here.

Brian

Brian I don't have a AW16G and haven't worked with one, but I do have a AW4416 which is its biggest brother. IF they work similar, which I have heard they do, I will try and answer your question.

You can apply multiple effects in different ways. First you can use the same effect on multiple tracks if you want by inserting the effect into a track (in the case of AW4416... AUX7 eff1 or AUX8 eff2) and then raise the fader on the particular track to determine the amount of effect desired. So if you are hearing both effects bledding together perhaps you have the faders raised on both the vocal & guitar tracks for eff1 & eff2. Be sure to turn all faders to off on tracks you want no effect on. The fader in this case is only determining the amount of effect applied not the volume of the vocal or guitar.

And yes there is a limitation internal using the effrects processor to only using two effects at a time. You can use external effects processor if you have them to add more if desired, is one option.

Tho add internal effects to 3 different tracks you need to bounce tracks. For example you have your Vocal on track 1, add your effects to track 1 and then bounce Track 1 to an open track Like Track 9 with the effect on it. Now Track 9 will have the vocal and the effect printed on the track. You have now freed up one of the effects processor to use on an additional track. One word or caution is once you do that you cannot remove the effect from Track 9 so I recommend kepping the original Track 1 as a virtual track just in case you change your mind on the effect later. Also make sure when you bounce the tracks you also bounce RTN1 & RTN2 to track 9 so the effect bounces.

I hope this helps .............

Thank you

Yes you do make sence. I will try the faders to adjust. Its funny your replied when you did. Last night I was thinking to myself, how can I get my vocals to thicken up. So I copied my vocal track to an empty track and boom I had an instant thickening. I noticed too that it automatically adjusted the highs and lows on the copied track so that they are slighty different from each other. I thought that was cool. At least it sounds good. I havent actually recorded it off to CD yet.
???????????????
I am not too happy with the effects I get from the onboard for vocals though. Although, I am just recording direct out of my mixer using a regular mic. I dont expect to get a great sound. Does a preamp really help thicken vocals??

I didnt know you could put an effect on an empty track and then bounce a track with an effect on it to that track and end up with 2 eff. on the new track. I will have to try that one.

If I understood you correctly anyway.
Thank you for your help.

Brian

Yes a Preamp will help your vocal performance quite a bit depending on the Pre-Amp and its capabilities but there are preamps and vocal devices on the market that do Thicken Vocals. You can also double your lead vocal track and sing it again to help thicken the vocals, I do that all the time.

The part about putting a effect on a empty track and then bouncing a track with an effect on it, was not what I was saying, but yes you can do that also. If you add the effect to the input channel then you are in effect printing that effect on the track. What I was saying, is you bounce the vocal track with Effect1 on it to a new track, that new track now has the vocal and effect on it. That way you free up Effect processor 1 to use on other tracks or on the vocal track again because you no longer need the original Dry track that was using the EFF1 or Eff2. Good Luck.

Re: Thank you

lyrical2 said:
Last night I was thinking to myself, how can I get my vocals to thicken up. So I copied my vocal track to an empty track and boom I had an instant thickening. I noticed too that it automatically adjusted the highs and lows on the copied track so that they are slighty different from each other. [/B]

I am still (after nearly 2 months) exploring the capabilities of the AW16G. In particular, I've doubled vocals. I have not "...noticed too that it automatically adjusted the highs and lows on the copied track...". Perhaps it was because I added a Delay to the second vocal which certainly changed the timbre of the vocal tracks! I would recommend trying varying delays to your copied track, if you can avoid comb filtering, it will certainly thicken the vocal sound. A friend of mine will sometimes make 3-4 copies with varying delays and other effects in order to thicken and enhance an otherwise "dry" vocal. Let us know how it goes.

Back