Auto-panning on Pro Tools

do you want to automate panning? go to the track in the edit window and click where you see the word waveform on the left of the track. A menu will pop up that says blocks waveform volume panning etc, choose panning. Then you'll see a straight line in the middle of the waveform, this represents panning and you can draw it in any way you want.

You can also record it in real time. In the mix window, in the track you'll see a button that says "auto", click that and choose write. Now when you play back, anything you do to the panning will be recorded. Then you can fine tune it with the way i described above.

Sorry this was kind of long.

What I mean by autopanning is getting a similiar effect as in "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen, along with numerous other examples, where the sound can move from one speaker to the other and back and forth and stuff. I don't know if autopan means anything else, but the Pro Tools Reference Guide doesn't really explain it that well to me.

There are several multiFX hardware boxes that have autopanner algorithms. I know of at least one VST/DX autopanner (3D Panner Motion Effects), but I don't use ProTools so I don't know of any for TDM/RTAS. I don't see why there wouldn't be any for ProTools.

Don't confuse the auto stuff :)

Auto panning in protools simply means that you can manually set panning, and the automation will play back your moves.

As has already been explained, there are a number of plug-ins which facilitate some kind of auto-panning, and most of them allow for BPM input so the panning can be in rythm with the track.

Back