The audio in this video clip is rubbish

demonboy

Hi,

I'm new to recording audio with an external mic. Up until now I've only ever used the internal mic of my camera but recently I bought a Rode VideoMic Pro with dead cat and have updated my OM-D EM5 to the Mark 2 version. I went out today and recorded the following clip by sticking the mic on top of the camera and hitting record on a windy day. That is, no filter buttons or any alterations were done in preparation, no high/low pass buttons switched and nothing altered on the EM5.

https://youtu.be/N8DSPr94IfU

Ignore the lighting and camera position as this was just an audio test in the wind. What bothers me is when the wind blows, right at the moment when I say that the viewer should be able to hear me above the wind (ironically), the audio drops.

I realise I should be using the filter buttons or some setting on the OM-D, but I don't know what.

Any pointers?

First off, turn off the automatic gain control on your camera. Every time there's a loud bit of wind it reacts to that and turns down the volume accordingly...affecting your voices as well as the wind noise.

Second, be realistic with regard to your expectations of what the wind sock on your mic can do. They help a lot but can't filter out a gale. (And we used to call them furry hamsters, not dead cats! :) )

Finally, get the mic off the camera and as near you as you can. The inverse square law applies even in a wind--so every time you halve the distance to your mouth, you get 4 times more voice compared to wind. Also, sometimes you can use your bodes to provide some shelter.

When I used to do TV sound, the on camera mics were only ever used for underlay and cutaways...speech was always with a mic close to the speaker, whether on a fishpole just out of shot, a hand held, or (quite often) a lav radio mic clipped under the clothes away from wind and street noise.

Back