Assistance with Dynamic Microphones ( XLR to PC )

MintyFresh

Hello,

I'm going to start up a youtube channel and do vocal covers of songs, and have been searching around for microphones and I've hit a dead end with XLR connections. I have a question to ask!

I've got my eye on these microphones:
  • Sony FV420 Vocal Microphone
  • Shure PG58QTR Vocal Microphone
  • AKG P5S Lead Vocal Microphone
  • Samson Q8 Dynamic Handheld Microphone
  • AKG D5 Dynamic Vocal Microphone
  • Sennheiser E835 Lead Vocal Microphone
  • Sennheiser E845 Pro Dynamic Vocal Microphone

Prefferably I want to get either of the two AKG's, but I don't want to buy a mixer etc, out of all of the listed microphones - which ones would work fine if I were to use an XLR to 3.5 adapter? All I want to do is plug my microphone into my PC and record my vocals with Audacity or any other program ( the program doesn't phase me. )

So the question is: Do these microphones allow me to use an XLR to 3.5 or XLR to USB adapter without requiring other external items such as mixers etc?

It's a great idea - but you have far more things to consider. First thing is that the 3.5mm socket on all computers is meant for connecting headsets and other gizmos that don't need anything approaching hifi quality, so even if you don't want an interface, if you want to get decent audio into and out of a computer you need some sort of interface, and maybe a small mixer with one built in would be better - because at least you then get all the other facilities. Audacity is a fine programme for a freebie, but is your computer audio card capable of recording and playing back at the same time - pretty important. Out of your list, only The D5 AKG and the two Sennheisers would appeal to me - the others are all a bit compromised on one area or the other. The 845 is tighter as it's hyper-cardioid, but sounds similar to the 835, and I've had these on radio systems for years and quite like them. Keep in mind that virtually all of them on ebay are counterfeit. Only buy Shure or Sennheiser from proper dealers. You can use these mics with XLRs, with adapters to 3.5mm, but keep in mind the sockets on computers are fragile, and the adaptor puts a lot of weight and stress on the socket.

when you say covers, do you mean you want to record yourself singing and playing an instrument with one mic? This could be a problem because at a distance, these mics are not that sensitive - and turning up the gain on the 3.5mm socket is guaranteed to generate a lot of hiss.

Buy a proper interface - they're not that expensive, because if you want top start a youtube channel for your music, you want people watching because you are a good performer - not so they s****** behind your back at the poor sound. Most home recordists strive for the highest quality they can manage. A cheap mic and a 3.5mm socket are not your friends.

when you say covers, do you mean you want to record yourself singing and playing an instrument with one mic? This could be a problem because at a distance, these mics are not that sensitive - and turning up the gain on the 3.5mm socket is guaranteed to generate a lot of hiss.

I mean vocal covers sorry! Not much of an instrumentalist as of yet ( I AM LEARNING THOUGH! ) Thank you for your help! I was kicking myself thinking that my computer wouldn't allow it! But it does, thank you!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by vocal covers? As in acapella? What kind of songs? This is going to leave your voice very exposed, and people will really be listening? Maybe a cheaper dynamic isn;t a good choice and a modest condenser would be better - but we're spending money you maybe don't have?

Back