Aside of Blumlein, mid-side and singing what ribbon microphones are good for?

Dantheman06

I am currently saving to buy a pair of AKG 414 xls for stereo recording. I think that in the mean-time I could buy a a pair of inexpensive SE Electronics VR1 ribbon mic. These ribbons have a very flat frequency response to 20 khz (even if the specs said 18 Khz) and they are the same on both side. As a result they must be good for mid-side and Blumlein. I read that they are good on guitar amp and drum overhead. I have seen a picture where they were used as a stereo pair (ORTF technique) for a grand piano. The pair was installed over the strings and under the open cover/top of the grand piano

sE Electronics - Voodoo Ribbons

When using ribbons for a grand piano with the mic just over the strings don’t you also get reflection from the cover/top and run into phase problems?

When you use the ribbons as drum overheads don’t you also get reflections from the ceiling and also run into same type of problems?

If you could explain these things then I will figure out if it worth to buy these rather inexpensive ribbon microphones.
Thank you,

If you get that close with a CO-I pair you will end up with a giant piano stretched speaker to speaker.

Tres unnatural!

Dave.

Back