ART Tube MP Project Series anyone?

ronphotoinc

Anyone out there using this mic/instrument pre amp? Likes? Dislikes?
Does really work for better vocal recordings? Thanks.

I bought one, and it can really help if you've got weak pres (for example, it helps out with my MR-8). It also does some pretty cool things with instruments, like if you use it instead of a bass DI. I've read that it even can fatten a guitar if put in front of a digital modeller, though I haven't tried it.

Don't think, though, that it will "make better vocal recordings" for you instantly. It just changes the sound in a way that may or may not please you or your mix. As far as the change goes, it seems to fatten things up and "warm" them a bit, but overuse certainly will make things muddy.

Definitely worth fifty bucks. However, be reminded that it is a fifty-dollar tube preamp. Some people pay hundreds just for tubes.
The build quality is okay, but it's something that someday (sooner or later) will benefit from a re-tube, a refurbishing, or a full replacement.

I think amazing for the $

I own the simple ART MP. I think that it is very useful. I currently own better preamps, but still use it to boost and warm my guitar signal, prior to leading it into my amp or effects box. I think that it is an amazing value and very useful.
Yours, ES

It is useful in a variety of situations. I use mine as a DI for bass, a bridge between my Podxt and the DAW. It is a good all around pre, I recently just recorded some on-hold information for my companies phone system using the ART pre for voice.

Better than the mic pre in my line 5 toneport? Yes.

I didn't realize how kinda awful they sound until I bought an M-Audio DMP3. It had this really warm texture... Except not in a good way. It made everything sound kinda fuzzy and took off the sparkle.

I'm sure a great deal of it was the stock chinese tube that was in it but thats what it sounded like stock, so.

--------------

On a side note it started to crap out after like 6 months of probably once a week usage.

----------------------------------

Also this thread was bumped from apparently 2006? :3

Yup they get bumped like that a lot.

People get to reading threads after goggling and just respond. This one isn't bad at all.
The funny ones are in the free ads for musical/studio gear that are 5+ years old and that person who bumped the thread will ask if that gear is still for sale. :facepalm:

Back