ART Tube Mic Preamp Comp & EQ Model 259

JimmyAndrew

Anybody have any experience in using one of these? I'm thinking of using it for vocals...and maybe acoustic? And any opinions on using it with an Audio Technica At4033 for vocals?

Anybody have any experience in using one of these? I'm thinking of using it for vocals...and maybe acoustic? And any opinions on using it with an Audio Technica At4033 for vocals?

Art is right up there with Behringer and Phonic run away from these companies go up the scale some and get some Quality. read the thread on bnest mic pre for around $300.00

That particular Art unit is the discontinued Art Pro Channel....Not to be confused with any of the cheaper and flat sounding units nor the Model 215 which replaced it. This is actually one of the nicer recording strips for the money a person can buy. I owned one for a while and even though it isnt 600 volts to the plates its not the typical 'starved plate' design a lot of the 'toob' mic pres are in this price range. It also has two different compressors in it and is switchable between the two. Optical and an FET based design if I remember correctly. I sold mine to purchase another piece of gear that I wanted more, not because I was displeased with its performance. I wouldnt hesitate to get another one if one came along at a great price. Real nice remote recording front end for a singer.

As far as 'mic pres under $300' this one would be at the top of the list as its usually around 3bills used.

Again, this is the discontinued model.....NOT the replacement unit.

I would never put one of these units in the same class as Ber*&^%#ger or Phonics or any of the other cheap chinese built(or worse) crap you can buy. Its not a Neve, nor is it an API, but its really a good unit (model 259, right?) and your 4033 will sound great through it. Especially for acoustic guitar. For your voice, you may not like the 4033, its a crapshoot there (my voice sounds great on mine) but a 58 through that unit will sound excellent for almost anyone.

cavedog101;3300918I would never put one of these units in the same class as Ber*&^%#ger or Phonics or any of the other cheap chinese built(or worse) crap you can buy. Its not a Neve said:
Thanks cavedog101 this is always good to know.

thanks a lot for the feedback cavedog! i knew this had to be better than the current art stuff just based on the research i had done...and i think it retailed for over $300 back in its day. it had come in to the pawnshop i work at so i guess i will have to scoop it up and mess around with it.

Retail was around $500 if I remember correctly. The one I had for a time was 275 used at a 'goin-outta-da-rekordin-bizness-sale'..........Kinda wish I had kept it but still have the mic I sold/traded it for and use it every session.....so.....it was a good deal.

Back