Aphex Type C Aural Exciter between mic and interface.

wmalan

I have an old Aphex Type C Aural Exciter that I was thinking of inserting between my AT2020 condenser mic and the Scarlett 2x2 interface. Since going digital years back, I've only used Reaper's Exciter plugin. The mic of course gets it's power from the interface. I do have a separate phantom power supply if needed as the Exciter only has 1/4 jacks. Would there be any advantage in sound using my old hardware or just stick with the software plugins after recording. I was going to play around today and see if there is a real reason to try this.
Anyone else play with it this way?

That unit is made for unbalanced -10dBv signal. If the interface had an insert it would be easy. If not then you really need to put a preamp ahead of the Aphex device.

That unit is made for unbalanced -10dBv signal. If the interface had an insert it would be easy. If not then you really need to put a preamp ahead of the Aphex device.

Yep. Just figured that out as I started to wire things up. Moving on then... Thanks!

My personal opinion about the Aphex would be to ditch it and sell on Ebay.

If you wish to see what it does as an outboard unit, then record direct to interface and after recording send to it as an external FX device. This will only be a possibility is your interface has multiple outs tho.

Back