Any tips for getting more comfortable recording one track at a time?

randyfromde

So tonight I decided to just "wing it", set up my 2 OKtava MK012's and sort of do a "live" demo, and to my amazement, I sound so much better just doing the parts at the same time.

I realize that this can be as viable a method as any to recording, but after I record those two parts, if I add any more, it'll get jumbled since I can't pan (that much at least).

I think my problem is singing without playing guitar. Any specific tips on how to get better at it? Obviously more practice, but any specific helpful hints would be much appreciated!

funny that you say that...I've already been given the suggestion of singing while my guitar is strapped on. He didn't say to act like I was strumming though!

I have the same problem. When I play live, I do a solo acoustic act and I'm so used to having the guitar strapped on that I feel weird without it. I actually tried singing my parts with the guitar strapped on...more trouble than it was worth for me. I think everyone has their own way of getting used to it.

For me, I had the added pressure of worrying about the neighbors hearing me and maybe complaining. To me, it's kinda like having a hard time studying for a test. I had to create the perfect recording environment for myself. Odd as it seems:

• No one else around
  • Lights out
  • Boxer shorts only
  • Small sips of Barefoot Cabernet from time to time (not to any level of intoxication)
  • Closed eyes while singing

But then again, blindly singing in what might be considered a "romantic" environment wearing only underwear isn't for everyone. If my redneck friends back home could see me they'd lynch me!

:D

Do you do this boxer shorts only thing with your live act, or just recording? Neighbours are more likely to complain if you leave the blinds open... especially if you're a large man...

Images of Homer Simpson are running through my mind.. begone damn you, begone...:D

Armistice said:
Do you do this boxer shorts only thing with your live act, or just recording? Neighbours are more likely to complain if you leave the blinds open... especially if you're a large man...

Images of Homer Simpson are running through my mind.. begone damn you, begone...:D
I like to think of myself as more of a Jack Black.
:D

Interesting- When I first started tracking for the current project, I had just the reverse problem. I couldn't play without singing. I found it was very helpful to have the music stand with the words in front of me, to help keep my place. A couple of songs which were real pesky, I recorded DI, with a Fishman plugged into a preamp. I found I could sing very quietly without the mic in the guitar picking it up. Then I mic'd the guitar and played while listening to the DI scratch track through cans, then added vox on a separate track.
I think the same basic program can work for you. Record guitar and vox with one mic as a scratch track, then play along with it one instrument at a time, then erase the scratch track. Good luck. It does get easier with practice. The fun part is the reverse is also true. When you've written and recorded a new song a track at a time in the studio, then you have to learn to sing it and play it at the same time. That can be just as hard.-Richie

"I think the same basic program can work for you. Record guitar and vox with one mic as a scratch track, then play along with it one instrument at a time, then erase the scratch track."

Richard, I'm not quite getting how this will solve my problem....I'm not having troubles keeping the guitar part straight. It's singing on top of the recorded guitar part. For some reason, when I do them both together it sounds better vocally then when I do them separately.

Perhaps I will get a vocal mic with an adjustable pattern so that I can sing and play guitar at the same time, but the mic won't pick up too much of the guitar part.

I've done this before and with the correct mic adjustment it was a success.
Have your vocal mic pointed up slightly and your guitar mic pointed down slightly.
You my be surprised at how it works.
Mess with the positioning of those mics. Just remember where you found that sweet spot for later reference.
I even had greater flexibility to pan this way.

Good luck

Denver

My point, Randy, is that you may find it easier to sing along with yourself *singing* than the guitar alone. Then you can follow your more natural vocal performance.-Richie

most people , well for hip hop recording usually smoke before they record,or drink. I like to take a couple of shots and get nice and open, but not drunk were i'm slobbering over my words. Just a saw buzz, and then start singing, or rappen whatever. After minutes of getting open, then record. Also, my boy showed me some doors video where Jim was getting head while recording

Yo Randy:

Certainly some interesting esoteric methods offered here.

Here is what I do.

If I'm doing the music for a vocal, I get the chords and meter[drums] down first. After that, it's finish the arrangement as I want and then do the vocal.

If you make a blip on the vocal, it's just "push" the button to go back and do it again. Then, if you get a track you like, you can do the virtual tracks or open track channels and do the vocal once or twice more -- then, pick the one you like.

Getting the meter and chords down first is a big help for me with my set-up.

As well, a very good keyboard man, great jazz musician, came to my studio to do some tracks and that is what he did.

Happy Halloween :[ BOO!

Green Hornet :cool: :cool: :p :p

I found that all I needed was to buy a pop filter. I guess I was unconsciously holding back to try and filter the pops out, so I wasn't singing to my full potential.

Or at least that's what I am telling myself. I sound so much better after getting the filter.

Thanks for the tips everybody. I'll keep them in mind when I can't nail a take like I'd like to.

Back