any suggestions on tracking or mixing? HELP!!

barger

I JUST GOT ALL THE EQUIPMENT FOR MY STUDIO
GEAR:
mikes-
2x marshell V67 MICS FOR OVERHEADS, also use one for vocals
D-6 FOR THE KICK
2x d-2 for the high and mid tom
d-4 for the low tom
2x sm-57 one for the snare and the other for the gtr cab
studio gear-
2.4 gig 533 front side bus daw
2x delta-44's
mg16 yamaha mixer
2x dbx 266 comp's
art tps II TUBE MIC PRE-AMP

MY FIRST QUESTIONS ARE MORE RELATED TO TRACKING. THE 266 DBX IS WHAT I AM USING FOR THE KICK, SNARE, AND THE TOMS. THE TOMS ARE GIVING ME PROBLEMS. THE PROBLEM IS NOT IN THE DRUMMER OR THE SET. MY DRUMMER IS KILLER AND HE KNOW'S HOW TO TUNE HIS DRUMS AND THE SET IS A QUALITY. I SET THE COMP AT 4:1 AT -10. THE BAD THING ON THE 266'S IS THAT THE ATTACK AND RELEASE TIMES HAVE NO MS INDICATORS. ALL I WANT IS A CONSISTANT EVEN LEVEL FOR TRACKING. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME? ANY TIPS TO KEEP THE SNARE AND KICK EVEN WOULD HELP TOO.
MY OTHER QUESTION IS, HOW DO I GET A EVEN LEVEL ON THE MASTERING. I KNOW MOST PEOPLE WOULD SAY TAKE IT TO SOMEBODY TO GET IT MASTERED, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN HOW. IF YOU WOULD LIKE YOU COULD LISTEN TO ONE OF OUR SONGS GOTO WWW.OTCROCK.COM AND
LISTIN TO OUR SONG "STORY" AND LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS ANYTHING I COULD DO TO MAKE IT BETTER. THANKS!!

Other than the overheads being pretty brittle I think the tracking is going okay for you. A lot of the issues seem to be more mixing related than tracking related.

For example:

Toms do sound weak--eq and compression can help that out. However, what's worse is that they are too far apart in the stereo spectrum in the mix.

Overall the drum kit seems to need more ambiance and reverb on it. This can fatten things up pretty nicely.

Guitar is pretty brittle sounding as well. Watch giving guitar any boost over 1.6khz. In general I suspect that when you EQ you boost too much and cut too little.

Bass could use a little more oomph--once again a mixing issue.

I'm suspicious that with the amount of treble and upper mids going on if your listening environment isn't compromised. What are you using to monitor when you mix?

As far as mastering goes--leave that up to the people that do it all the time. It's a tricky little process that requires a lot of experience.

Watch the all caps thing, that annoys a lot of people. You get more feedback if you don't scream. :)

If you're recording into a DAW, I would recomend not using compression during tracking and tweaking it with plugins after it's been recorded. I feel that this might give you more control especially if you are not very exerienced with compression.

I've always been a proponent of tracking dry and using effects in the mixdown for maximum control. But to each his own.

Good luck

I agree as far as printing effects goes. Unless it is CENTRAL to the sound I never print it. I like options after the fact. If you have the facilities it can be cool to record the effected and unaffected signals as well.

As far as the whole "even level" thing is concerned . . . you're probably going to need a very fast compressor. Or just set the 266 somewhere close to the shortest attack time you can dial in. If there are no ms indicators, then I would just assume that to be all the way to the left, and work your way from there. You gotta' be able to use your ears to a degree, too. :D Eventually, you're going to want to be able to tweak things, turn some dials and know what's goin' on by listening.

You're also going to want to look in to using a peak limiter at some point. For this, it would be a lot more economical to go the software plugin route if you can swing it. You could go all crazy and spend a small fortune on the Waves' L2 . . . but there are also some inexpensive options that are really close in quality -- Sonic Timeworks Mastering Limiter is one, and PSP Vintage Warmer the other. Both around 100 bucks or so.

Last edited:
hey chessrock

Hey you ain't kidding about the waves l2. that thing is really sweat!!! that solved alot of problems with the levels. the limiting seems really smooth and level. nice tip thanks!!!

Last edited:
Back