Any such thing as decent wireless headphones for recording?

Dave Matthews

Dave's not here
We are about to embark on recording our band using headphones to get basic tracks down. The bass player and I (rhythm guitar) are setup with Sennheiser HD280.
My lead player wants to go wireless. I suggested that he would either end up with latency, noise, or coloured sound (maybe all three) by using wireless but I'm not sure.
I haven't seen much apart from expensive IEMs. Is there such a thing as decent wireless headphones for recording? Or maybe a TX/RX system for regular headphones?

Cheers

Google is your friend...."Wireless Headphones" :)

There's lots of Bluetooth wireless headphones...but of course, they will only work with a system that transmits with Bluetooth.
How to tie that into your DAW or whatever you're using, is up to you to investigate.

I've not seen too much studio use of wireless phones, but I bet someone is doing it.
The real issue could be your cue mix distribution system. Like with my setup, I'm using a console and Aux buses, and then that goes to a headphone distribution amp, that way I can tailor the cue mixes a few different ways.

Most of the Bluetooth headphones are more for listening to your MP3 playlists and whatnot...but it could possibly work for you.

Well...there's a bunch of headphones...I would think for basic cue mixes, there would be some that sound OK, if not quite like the 280HD. It's a question of what's more important to your lead player...wireless capability, or a specific sounding set of 'phones.

We are about to embark on recording our band using headphones to get basic tracks down. The bass player and I (rhythm guitar) are setup with Sennheiser HD280.
My lead player wants to go wireless. I suggested that he would either end up with latency, noise, or coloured sound (maybe all three) by using wireless but I'm not sure.
I haven't seen much apart from expensive IEMs. Is there such a thing as decent wireless headphones for recording? Or maybe a TX/RX system for regular headphones?

Cheers

The answer really is: NO.

Most modern headphones are digital and therefore have delay (latency) - so are not suitable, however good they are.

The only way is an FM IEM system and these are not cheap.

The best way is a cable.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. If he wants to try it he's welcome to it but I for one am happy with wired HD280s

Back