Andrew Scheps Vid

I've seen that one before (and a few of his other interview clips).

He doesn't get caught up to much in "it's gotta be this way"...which I like.
I mean, like everyone, he has the go-to stuff and personal faves obviously, but doesn't have a problem with doing what needs to be done to get the results.

AFA his drum recording approach...he does it to fit his mixing style, and also to guarantee good takes without a hitch.
I think for the home rec crowd, there isn't that need to have everything perfect from the first note or drum hit....IOW, there IS much more room to experiment, so I doubt anyone needs to put up a dozen or more mics on a kit. He does it as an insurance policy, like he said...he always multi-mics so there's not any "oh shit" moment later on, 'cuz you can always toss out the tracks you don't want.

With guys like this, who are doing this stuff at the top levels, the pressure to perform on the spot is no different than it is for the players in the room.

Agree, the things l liked most was AS pointing out the reason for putting up the usual suspects was the "time is money" rather than "this is the way it has to be done" and his comments about getting good sounds by accident then trying to remember how to reproduce them. Also I felt vindicated that I wasn't the only one having to cut most of the bleed out of the tom tracks and processing them separately. I thought I was doing something wrong cuz I always had to do this to toms !

Back