Andrew Scheps on Recording Guitars and Bass

andrushkiwt

Just wanted to post this here:

YouTube

Definitely someone reputable. Opine away, if you'd like...

---------- Update ----------

Forgot to mention - no, it's not Kermit the Frog, promise. Well, maybe.

That whole hour long interview is great, watched it many times. He also has two different hour long ones for PureMix, and a few others. I watch 'em over and over. On my long 6 hour drives to the cabin up north I hook the phone up to the car stereo and listen to 'em

He has a few others for Working Class Audio, Recording Studio Rockstars, two Pensado's episodes, and a few lectures. They're all fantastic. Learn something new every time I watch/listen.

Right on the cone?? Is he mad ? :D
Interesting with the 2 mic approach - dynamic and condensor. I'll have to try that

Interesting with the 2 mic approach - dynamic and condensor. I'll have to try that

I mean, I don't record real amp/cabs, but I'm guessing the advantage would be that you can still use 100% of one, if you wanted to. But with the second, you get the added ability to blend in a slightly different tone/shape to the sound. Don't you use sims? I thought wrong, I guess.

It has to be the right speaker on the right amp to go right on the cone. I've tried it on 7 or 8 amps and various speakers/cabs and sometimes it works , sometimes not so much. 2 mics is great if you have a good sounding room

It has to be the right speaker on the right amp to go right on the cone. I've tried it on 7 or 8 amps and various speakers/cabs and sometimes it works , sometimes not so much. 2 mics is great if you have a good sounding room
He said he puts the pair right on the amp or maybe backs it off a little. I don’t think the room matters much in his technique.

The 2-mic approach got me thinking.

I have a Fender Rumble 200 v3 that has a 15" Eminence speaker that I was happily mic'ing with a Sennheiser e609 before switching to its DI output, which is post-everything and surprisingly good. It never occurred to me to mic its 1" compression tweeter.

How would you recommend mic'ing such a small, high-frequency speaker? Wondering about phase issues, among(st) others.

He said he puts the pair right on the amp or maybe backs it off a little. I don’t think the room matters much in his technique.

okay I know that one. I usually see this technique with two different dynamics. Once I hear/see condenser I automatically think of far enough from the amp to capture some room.

I nearly always use 2 mics, in my case an sm57 (or 421) and a ribbon (I like ribbons) right in front of the cone, depending on what sound I want I sometimes move it in and out slightly and sometimes slightly off to the side, I sometimes use a SM57 and a large condenser. He is right, most times you can get the sound you want by blending the 2 mics and not even touching the EQ, if possible I record the 2 mics to separate tracks so the decision can be made later, if not make the decision while tracking. The trick is to get a good guitar sound on the amp first.

I very rarely use a room mic for electric guitar.

Alan.

Back