Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Amp simulator vs tube amps for home studio.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Glover902 View Post
    ...and am now out of my parents bedroom where I had my studio squeezed in with my bed wardrobe etc..
    Did your parents get any sleep seeing how you were in their bedroom with all your stuff?

Even in a small room, a guitar amp/cab setup can be great...just mic it more closely, and add some acoustic absorption to tame the room sound.

AFA the bass...just go DI, which is how most people do it, though some prefer amps, but bass just works great DI.

Quote Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
    If you're going to DI out of those amps and add cab simulation in any form, you might as well just use the amp sim you've got. The cab and microphone are at least half the tone.

Right...either do it up all the way, amp/cab and mic it...(which is my own preference)....or just use all sims.
    Taking line outs from the amp and simulating a cab...it's almost not worth it...and you'll get about the same result just doing sims all the way.

Thanks
    Sell the 4x12, get a nice 1x12 cab. Or get two--one open back, the other closed. Get the speaker out of the room where you are tracking. Get a long speaker cable and a long mic cable, run them under the door to wherever your cabinet is located, and track at a comfortable level where you can actually hear what you are recording.

Thanks
    Yep, low-wattage setting on the amp, and a nice little 12" speaker cabinet. Close-mic (experiment) and buy/build some gobo-type bass traps that you can place around the mic set-up to cut down on reflections. Get the cabinet off the floor (use an amp stand).
    As to pedals, I prefer getting the sound I want from the amp while tracking - except for reverb, which I usually add in mixing. I used sims for a long time because of the volume thing, but there is nothing like the aural feedback from the speaker hitting the guitar strings and body to make a guitar sing.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Unless there are restrictions on the amount of noise you can make, I'd personally experiment with the full power settings on the amp. I've got several amps with an internal power soak or wattage setting. They all sound best on full power. Once you get the speaker out of the room so that the volume is no longer a danger to your health and hearing, there's no reason not to run it full out--or at whatever setting gets you the tone you are looking for.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    Unless there are restrictions on the amount of noise you can make
    It's a terraced house so we're joined on to other houses so there's gonna be restrictions, I just don't know what they are yet haha. I kinda want to put it in the other room and crank the sound but I feel like there's no way I'm not gonna get complaints about the noise.

I might try to use the mesa combo first and see what I can do with that mic'd and if I can make something happen then I can get a smaller cab for the heads.

I'm also gonna really give the Axe Fx a go and maybe try a few other amp sims and see if I can make it work for me, it just doesn't have any sustain or sing let the amps do, like you can't get a good pinch harmonic out of it but maybe that's because of the settings and I need to invest more time.

The reason I originally suggested the Palmer PDI-03 was because this guy uses one and he I absolutely love his tone:

It probably helps how good he is though...

Thank you for all the replies lots to consider for sure. You're making me wish my criteria for buying a house was 'good place to crank up and mic cabs > everything else.' Unfortunately the other half probably wouldn't have agreed!

Thanks
    I own an Axe FX II and a small handful of amps (JCM800, Peavey Windsor, and a Burgera 6260). I personally prefer the Axe FX. If you have the opportunity, plug the Axe FX into a cabinet and you'll get that lovely "amp in the room" sound. The amps on the Axe FX are pretty spot on, they only sound thin and weak because you're hearing these amps through an impulse which was meant to emulate the sound curve of a particular speaker in a particular cabinet going through a particular mic at a particular position in a particular room and is feeding into a particular interface. Impulses are extremely convenient, and can often sound great when used in a full mix, but on their own they lack the life that a real cabinet brings.

If you don't own a power amp for your Axe FX, you can plug it into the FX loop of your tube amp, just make sure you disable any cabinet impulses. Otherwise you'll get a "cab within a cab" kind of sound.

Thanks
    Okay so I'm trying to use Axe edit for my Axe Fx to really get stuck in with it, I've brought two midi cables and connected them to the Komplete audio 6 and into the Axe Fx but the midi light isn't coming on and doesn't appear to be working. Anyone got any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks
    I'm not a guitarist so I know very little about how huge the difference would be on the actual recording of a amp perfectly mic'd vs a sim.

You've got to remember when playing through a blazing amp you are having a physical sound wave experience not just your ears your whole body is receiving the "vibes". Think of cranking your favorite rock song through an awesome sound system cranked vs through your headphones...same song, same audio signal totally different musical experience...I mean totally.

Obviously the whole purpose is to get the best sound you can on your recording. I'd do a few side by side test and see if there really is a difference. Get the best tone through your sim you can and record it, do the same with your amp and then listen to them both side by side and see if it worth keeping the amps..

I'm a keyboard player who was indoctrinated into keys via a B3 and two 122 leslies UNFRICKINBELIEVABLE! what a magical musical experience...Flash forward some 40+ years.... lugging a B3 and leslie around aint no fun for a 60+ year old fart. But crazy as I am I did...I was a purist.... but what I discovered was that I could get just as good of recording with my nord and leslie sims as I could with the b3 and the leslie....saw the prices of B3's going down and said to myself...CYA Boat anchor! Sold..... I picked up a M3 for $100 for the studio that I have yet to use...fact of the matter is that Doppler effect that you feel when listening to a leslie live is 100% impossible to record and recreate when you play back...just physics.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Glover902 View Post
    Okay so I'm trying to use Axe edit for my Axe Fx to really get stuck in with it, I've brought two midi cables and connected them to the Komplete audio 6 and into the Axe Fx but the midi light isn't coming on and doesn't appear to be working. Anyone got any idea what I might be doing wrong?
    The way I read the Axe Edit Getting Started Guide, it uses USB to communicate with the Axe Fx. Maybe a clearer explanation of what you're trying to do, exactly, would help?
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Unfortunately the USB is only for the Axe Fx 2, I have the standard so I don't have that option so I have to use midi to midi to connect so I can use the axe edit software. I brought two midi to midi cables and plugged them in but it's not connecting. The midi lights aren't coming on for either the audio interface or the Axe Fx.
    Last edited by Glover902; 4 Days Ago at 11:50.

Thread Information