Ambient noise HELP!

BigMeeech444

Sorry if i posted this already,

I currently use a mxl v67g, a behringer xenyx 802 mixer, and a behringer u control uca202 to transfer mic audio through the mixer and into the computer. However, the amount of ambient noise my mic picks up is DISGUSTING. It makes my work sound like crap and i need to know: should i just switch to the focusrite scarlett solo or i am doing something wrong?

Attachments

• mic test bad ambience.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
I'd submit that around 99% of the time, it's from using an overly-sensitive mic in a poorly treated space.

But only around 99% of the time...

EDIT --

Listened to the MP3 -- That's not ambient noise -- That's noise. Noisy mic, noisy mixer, noisy interface -- It all adds up. The 802 is a noise beast... Imma bet a dollar that the U-Control isn't much better. And the V67...

You're sort of stacking up some of the most 'budget friendly' gear out there up and getting a surprisingly decent (but yes - Quite noisy) result.

Try the Scarlett.

I'd submit that around 99% of the time, it's from using an overly-sensitive mic in a poorly treated space.

But only around 99% of the time...

EDIT --

Listened to the MP3 -- That's not ambient noise -- That's noise. Noisy mic, noisy mixer, noisy interface -- It all adds up. The 802 is a noise beast... Imma bet a dollar that the U-Control isn't much better. And the V67...

You're sort of stacking up some of the most 'budget friendly' gear out there up and getting a surprisingly decent (but yes - Quite noisy) result.

Try the Scarlett.

Sorry John, can't agree. I have and have used that combination (tho not that mic) and it is capable of much better results especially with a 15mV/Pa microphone!

Dave.

It's noisy...yes....but the ratio isn't too bad that a gate couldn't eliminate it without adverse effects that were too bad.

I'd also say that getting my pc out of my tracking room was absolutely necessary to lower the noise floor where I track and mix. Laptops are quieter and yours may not be contributing much to the problem...but if it is...you're kind of hosed there.

If this noise is 100% equipment...then use a gate. I have a guitar processor that doubles as a good sound card. I use a patch for mics that allows two mics in and a gate that is set just above that minute noise floor. Works very well. Once I get room treatments done I doubt I'll even need the gate. We'll see.

Back