am i making this too complicated?

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
Im in a trio, drums, bass, guitar, and want to record some demos. I've had my tascam 424 for five years and i'm familair with it but i think I may try a few things i havent before. The problem is getting a good drum sound. The drummers kit is HUGE! like Niel Pert size plus! the only way i can even appoach it is with two overheads and kick and snare mics. simple enough, but i insist on recording live, and without another mixing board... what can you do. I actually bought a cheapo radio shack mixer some time back. I'd like to not use it again if i can. I do have a Crate acoustic guitar pre amp with two channels, so i'm thinking I'll route the two over heads through the pre-amp to get some EQ on them and feed them into the line 5/6 and 7/8 channels into stereo. and use two of the mic/ line channels for the kick and snare mic. leaving the other two mic/ line for bass and guitar, and recording onto two stereo tracks. The four mics that i have to mic the kit are an Audio Technica neodimium type vocal mic (I forget exactly) a SM-57 and two CAD 22. (meager pickings) Which should i use for what? I was thinking the CAD 22's for the overheads, the SM-57 for the snare, and the Audio technica (which has the bass boost that the SM-57 dosent) for the Kick. Or should i use my "better" mics for the over heads. Also should I even try the acoustic pre, would i be better off using the two channels of my BBE (I like to use one to record the Bass guitar direct) Will the tracks that i record going through the line inputs be hard left and right or can I somehow get like a 3 o'clock 8 o'clock type stereo image from those inputs?

I'd stop insisting on not using another mixing board. The radio shack mixer sucks. There are better ones.

If you're going for the Rush type of sound, a mixer is going to be a necessity. So is a lot of other stuff...

If you're looking for something more tangible and perhaps even more unique, set up the mics where you think they should go, record a tune, and listen to the results. Adjust from there.

This is a really great way to "audition yourselves." I record all practices, and keep recording notes on everything that sounds good. It can really tighten up your sound.

I dont insist on not using another mixer, just that i don't have one (sorry for the little syntax error there.) I'm looking at a few but I think I will wait until i can up my price range. I'm just wondering what other people might do with the equipment that I've got.

There are so many variables here, experimentation is the only way to find the best setup for your particular limitations.

If you can't borrow or rent another mixer to use more mics, then try this;

Schedule an afternoon with just you and the drummer. (In the room which you will be recording)

Have him start playing his little heart out, while you move mics around and "take" several minutes of each mic setup.

Try two mikes about 6 ft apart at ear level 8 feet out in front of the set. Then move them back, a foot....listen... more room sound...
move them closer, more direct sound...

I have also gotten good results with two mikes behind the drummer facing the set about a foot from his ears.

Take several cuts and then you and the drummer listen back.... you will find something you like.... mabye even love!

Sincerely;
Dom Franco

Thanks Dom Franco! I think i just needed someone to tell me to go with my intuition and my ears. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back