All-around studio headphones.

The Sony MD 7506's are also worth checking out although they do not have nearly as good noise cancellation as the HD280s.

headphone.com has a great feature on its site where you can compare the frequency graphs of various headphones. Definitely worth checking out.

I'm looking for a pair at the moment, around the $300 mark, or possibly more. The guy in Guitar Center recommended the Shure SRH 940s. Anyone used them? They seem to get good reviews. Also, anyone tried a Focusrite VRM Box? Apparently it simulates various monitors, but through your headphones. Helpful for not waking up your significant other.

I really like the Sennheiser HD 25-SP-II. Good isolation, comfortable so you can wear them for long sessions, and they are rather durable.

I purchased a nice pair of slightly used Panasonic RP-HC720 Headphones for a mere $30.00. To be honest, I kinda like these, sound has some nice bottom, but not overkill boom boxes like some out there. The mids and highs are good and crisp, but not too tinny. I am impressed with them, however the noise cancellation option is a joke, but I didn't buy them for that, so no big deal there. Great quality sound, and quite comfortable for keeping on for hours. For panning/stereo imaging, reverberation level, noise, hiss, and stuff like that, the Panny does an excellent job.

Vic Firth Isolation headphones. This is not only good from drummers to hear the click or ghost track louder, but they also isolate the sound inside the headphones from leaking out into the air. So also good for tracking quiet instruments like vocals or acoustic guitar, when your sensitive condenser pics up every little noise. They don't sound superb, but they're not shitty either. Just neutral I'd say.

As a headphone audiophile i've tried pretty much every headphone in this price range(and far far above). For a flat accurate sound the KRK 8400 are really your best bet, KRK 6400 should be fine too. Honestly take them over more expensive headphones like the Shure 940(which i own) or HD650.

Audio Technica changed the game by the launch of ATH M50X, you still have MTH 40 which is less pricey but it is less powerful as compared to 50X.So In case, you are looking for some closed back headphone then go with it but if your choice is going to be a open back headphone then i can see Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro to be best companion for you.Do check it out once

Back