Alesis mixer

Mattmaymatt

Is the Alesis multimix 16 or 8 any good? Do they let you control each track separately? On my current behringer mixer i cannot control each channel separately on the computer, which is what i would like to do. Thank you

As to whether the Multimixes are any good; they work as advertised. As to whether one considers them "good" depends upon one's definition of "good'. They are better than no mixer at all and better than some of the el cheapo mixers out there. But they pale in comparison to higher quality mixers that cost a lot more.

If you want something that will control the channels in your DAW software, you won't find that in an analog mixer. You can only get that by buying either a specific DAW controller or "control surface" or a combo digital mixer and DAW controller. When you search for gear to get, "DAW control" or "Control surface" are the keywords you need to look for.

G,

The firewire model does. The USB model only streams the Main Stereo mix. I have read a lot of comments from people having problems with the Alesis Multimix. I think the complaints mostly center around the driver. I believe the USB model does not come with a dedicated driver and they recommend a windows default driver or ASIO4All, which is pretty lame for a reputable manufacturer.

Not sure about the firewire model. Maybe it has its own driver.

The firewire model does. The USB model only streams the Main Stereo mix. I have read a lot of comments from people having problems with the Alesis Multimix. I think the complaints mostly center around the driver. I believe the USB model does not come with a dedicated driver and they recommend a windows default driver or ASIO4All, which is pretty lame for a reputable manufacturer.

Not sure about the firewire model. Maybe it has its own driver.

The firewire does come with its own driver.

Correct me if I have this wrong, but the Firewire models allow you to control the *recording level* of each channel. just like like a multichannel interface, but does not actually provide DAW control once the tracks are in there.

And yeah, I can concur on the USB i/f driver problem. I have a friend with one of the smaller USB models who had trouble with his a good year ago. I was hoping they'd have fixed that by now, but I guess not.

G.

Correct me if I have this wrong, but the Firewire models allow you to control the *recording level* of each channel. just like like a multichannel interface, but does not actually provide DAW control once the tracks are in there.

And yeah, I can concur on the USB i/f driver problem. I have a friend with one of the smaller USB models who had trouble with his a good year ago. I was hoping they'd have fixed that by now, but I guess not.

G.

Although you are correct, I took the O.P.'s post to mean he wanted to be able to individually edit the waveforms on the computer. Beri. as far as I know only offers usb mixers not usb 2.0. With regular usb he receives his recording as a single stereo track or two mono.

But if he is looking for a control surface I would suggest This

I just want the most basic setup which allows me to control all the channels differently on my computer. for example snare and bass drum in two different tracks instead of all being in one track

Although you are correct, I took the O.P.'s post to mean he wanted to be able to individually edit the waveforms on the computer.
Yeah. I thought he meant that he wanted to use the mixer to do the editing, though, and that would not be possible with the Alesis.
I just want the most basic setup which allows me to control all the channels differently on my computer. for example snare and bass drum in two different tracks instead of all being in one track
Matt, I'm sorry to say that you're still phrasing that in a bit of an ambiguous way (for my tiny brain, anyway :P) Here's the deal:

If you mean you just want something that will *record* the tracks to separate tracks on the computer, the firewire versions of the Alesis mixers are indeed designed to do that.

If, however you actually want to *control the editing and mixing* of those tracks after they have been recorded into your computer, that is not something the Alesis will do. You'd have to add something like the Korg control surface that socks linked to to do something like that.

G.

What about the presonus firestudio project? Does it allow you to mic a drum set then be able to eq every separate track on the computer?

What about the presonus firestudio project? Does it allow you to mic a drum set then be able to eq every separate track on the computer?

Yes, it does. Also check out the Tascam US-1641. Although it is USB 2.0. 2.0 allows you to get the individual tracks like firewire. It can found for $210 on B&H. Anything firewire or usb 2.0 will give you the individual tracks to the computer.

Tascam US-1641- for 8 inputs and for cheap.
Presonus Firestudio- 8 inputs with great preamps
Motu 8pre- 8inputs amazing preamps.

plenty of other options with 8 inputs but for their prices these are my favorite interfaces.

Matt, you really do need to explain what you're looking for a bit better. Because when you say "on the computer" we got two different impressions out here as to what you mean.

Once again, while those are all fine boxes that socks talks about, they do not give you the ability to do anything to tracks that are already on the computer. You can *record* the individual tracks with those boxes, but once those tracks are on the computer they do nothing as far as helping you work with the tracks that are already there.

G.

For what you are doing you might want to look at a Tascam 2488 Neo. It's a self contained ITB studio that you can also use for live sound and/or exporting individual tracks to your computer via USB. If you choose you can mix and master and burn a cd all within the same unit. They run about $700 bucks but you may(they're only a couple years old) find a cheaper one used. They have pretty decent sounding pre's for that price.

I have an Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0 and yes it will send all 16 tracks individually to your computer recording software - I use Sonar 6.5 for example. The mixer does not have the greatest quality microphone preamps but it'll get you by... Line ins are fine of course because they bypass the preamps. The old Studio 24 had better preamps IMO.

I have an Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0 and yes it will send all 16 tracks individually to your computer recording software - I use Sonar 6.5 for example. The mixer does not have the greatest quality microphone preamps but it'll get you by... Line ins are fine of course because they bypass the preamps. The old Studio 24 had better preamps IMO.

Hey Ido, did it come with its own driver or did it use a generic driver?

Is the Alesis multimix 16 or 8 any good? Do they let you control each track separately? On my current behringer mixer i cannot control each channel separately on the computer, which is what i would like to do. Thank you

No matter how good it might work new, it will break sooner or later. IMHO, Alesis has the WORST customer support I've ever encountered and for that reason, I will not buy anything with their name on it.

Back