Advice needed on mic placement for live recording

Walter Tore

I am going to record my trio live. I plan on using an AT3050 set up in front of one of the PA cabinets to capture the vocals and harp, and a core sounds binaural stereo mic a few feet in front of the the stage to capture the band/audience. I have recorded 2 cds with only the binaural mic direct to the mini disc, so I am familiar with this mic, but this will be my first time using a 3035. We play pretty quiet (ex: my fender deluxe reverb volume never goes above 3) I have 1 PA mic for vocal/harp, electric guitar(no mic), bass(no mic), and drums(no mic). I run the recording mics into a berringer mixer, and out to a sharp mini disc recorder

My questions:

How far should the AT mic be from the speaker?

should I use a stocking pop filter and windscreen on the AT?

Should I pan full left for one mic and full right for the other to allow for some mixing afterwards?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks Walter

PS: you can hear the cd's at this site

http://www.spontobeat.com/

I have done many similar recordings

Place the speaker mic so it can sonically "hear" all of the cabinet. I would set up at 5' or so. You don't need pop filters. The hard part is getting the mix right from the stage pair to the speaker mic.

Have fun.

Wouldn't it be cleaner to take the pa feed direct?
In either case, you might also want to experiment a bit with the time alignment of the two sources too. (if you can get them in an editor that's an option.)

mixit: I have a fender passport 250 deluxe PA, and I tried the condensor mic in one of the channels and it doesn't work. The core sounds binaural mic sound crummy through the board. I had to crank it way up and got a lot of hiss. I had the mini disc connected to the stereo out of the fender board. I guess these mics aren't made to go into a mixing board without phantom power. The mix I get off the vocal mic alone dominates the other instruments and I don't want to get into micing each instrument. I don't know what "time alignment" or "get them in an editor" means. Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for your help!

Sloop: Thanks for that tip. I would have put it way too close.

Do you guys reccomend I pan each mic to opposite sides for mixing it a bit if I need too (add/decrease volume, reverb, etc)?

Thanks Walter

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm lost. I thought you were going to use the stereo mic to catch the stage and the AT for the pa mix. Were both of those going to go directly into the mini disk? If so, I was just recommending skiping the AT mic on the speaker, and take a line in from the pa.
Wayne

Wayne: Your not lost, I am. I have been playing for almost 40 years, but am 1 year new to all this recording stuff. I now understand what you are saying. I will try that. Thanks for being patient with me. Walter

Back