Adding Image To Recorded Audio CD

mrcountry

Im sorry but I didn't know exactly where to post this. I need to know if it's possible to ad an image file of the CD Cover Art to the recorded CD either by ID3 Tags or any other means possible. Please can someone help point me in the right direction. Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it is an audio CD meant to play in any commercial CD player, no. If it's a CD with WAV or MP3 files on it, yes.

Your question prompted me to try this and I think what I did may have worked, at least it appears I have JPG image files burned on the same CD media that I have audio on that is playable in my home Sony CD player. Haven't yet tried it in the deck in the car.

I first burned the JPG images to the CD as data, but did not finalize it, which would have prevented writing more data to the CD. I then added a compilation of various mp3's as audio to the same CD to create a normal audio CD. I can view and open the JPG's in Windows, but the audio is not visible.

I use a freebie burning utility https://cdburnerxp.se/ that works pretty well for most tasks I do and it can also print audio playlists and cover images.

So everyone understands, MP3s are data CDs. To get them to CDA they have to be converted and session closed to play on most CD players as a CD. But, if you have a player that plays MP3s, then you just create the data CDs,most players will only play MP3s at the lower rates, 192 and lower I think. I know there is a limit, not sure what it is.

David... the CD I burned does not appear to contain mp3's, just the jpg image files as viewed in Explorer. While the CD
played in my home Sony CD player (which does not recognize mp3 format), my cars CD player did not play the CD and was stuck on Track 01 where the jpg data appears to reside, thus the car player didn't know what to do with it. The car has been sometimes a bit flakey with some CD media I've used as well. I've got a screenshot of the CD info showing the info of data and audio on the the CD, but HR seems to be a bit sluggish this morning in being able to post it.

I'm not saying this is a guaranteed method that works perfectly (or maybe at all), but just passing along what I was able to do and perhaps with some tweaking possibly could work.

Some older CD players won't play CDRs (burned CDs), only pressed. Some won't play re-writable CDs (my car won't, but will play burned CDs). So it is hit or miss. And if the session is not closed (I assume it expects an end of file or something to know that it has everything indexed) most will not play. But maybe, if you write the CDA data first, not closing it, adding the image data, then closing the session, that would probably work, but you software would need a function to tell it to close the session. But I do think writing sequence (where it lands on the CD grooves) is important for the CD player to begin to read the index of the CD.

In the very early days when people first started writing data tracks to CDs I had a player that didn't know not to play the data track as audio. What a beautiful horrible noise that was!

Theres a program called roxio toast that creates CDs the correct format to play anywhere you could play a professional CD. You can add images to your songs in this program as well

Nero 10 does this as well. My second to last album I created a hybrid/mixed CD with MP3s, videos, and cover art on the data track. It doesn't mean the art is associated to the audio CD portion of the disc, like say a MP3 tag can have an embedded image that appears when the track is being played, but it does mean you can have computer data files and standard music CD audio files on the same disc.

This has been around for a long time, but never really gained traction. I think Graceland is the only disc I own that has mixed content.

In the very early days when people first started writing data tracks to CDs I had a player that didn't know not to play the data track as audio. What a beautiful horrible noise that was!

The game Civilization II had all the music as actual audio tracks on tracks 2-x, and track '1' was the data audio. It was really interesting how they got that to work, but it did. You put it in a computer, you'd play a game. You put it in a CD player, then started on track 2, it would play music. This was in the mid/late 90s, before burning was available on the consumer level.

I thought there was something about writing data to track 0 on a CD. I remember a few CD's having multimedia and they were printed to track 0. BNL's Rock Spectacle comes to mind.

Back