Adding a 16-channel mixer to hyrid ITB/OTB setup - would this work?

Binman_UK

Hi,

I have a decent amount of hardware synths/drum machines, along with Focusrite Pro 26 I/O with a Behringer ADA8000 conencted via ADAT. I currently mix and add effects inside Ableton but I'm going to be buying an old 16-input mixer so I can take a more hands-on approach to mixing, add a bit of analog grit to my tracks and assist with doing some live jams on my synths/drum machines.

I've researched various mixers but I'm on a budget. Allen & Heath MixWizards are out of my price range so I'll try and hold out for a Soundcraft Delta DLX - however, it entirely depends on how much money I can scrape together and what comes up on eBay.

Anyways, I was wondering if the following way of connecting it up will work and if anyone else uses something similar?

Synth/Drum Machines Outputs -->
Behringer Input 1-8 & Focusrite Input 1-6 -->
DAW VST Effect Plugins (Ableton) -->
Behringer Output 1-8 & Focusrite Output 1-6 -->
Mixing Desk Input 1-14

Mixing Desk Master Out 1 --> Focusrite Input 7-8 --> DAW To Record
Mixing Desk Master Out 2 --> Monitor Speakers

If this will work, I figure that I'll get the benefits of analog summing along with the ability to use both software and hardware effects.

If this won't work, the other option would be to plug my synths/drum machines directly into the mixer and then use the direct-ouputs to send to my audio interfaces.

Any advice much appreciated!
Cheers.

I do a hybrid ITB/OTB setup...but I don't mix ITB & OTB...I only mix OTB using the DAW as a playback.
If you are planning to play from DAW through mixer, add effects at the mixer, and back into DAW for more ITB mixing...you will have some delay/latency issues going on between all that analog/digital processing.

Also...IMO it's best to hook up everything to a patch bay, that way any combination is possible/interchangeable with a few patch cords.

I do a hybrid ITB/OTB setup...but I don't mix ITB & OTB...I only mix OTB using the DAW as a playback.
If you are planning to play from DAW through mixer, add effects at the mixer, and back into DAW for more ITB mixing...you will have some delay/latency issues going on between all that analog/digital processing.

Also...IMO it's best to hook up everything to a patch bay, that way any combination is possible/interchangeable with a few patch cords.

The plan is to plug everything directly into my audio interface (like they are now), maybe add some delay/reverb/etc effects in ableton, then output the 16 channels from the audio interface to the mixer for the final mixdown. One master out on the mixer will then go directly to the monitor speakers and the other master out will go back to a channel in ableton via my audio interface to "print" what i hear to disk. I understand that what will be recorded to disk will undergo one more A --> D conversion than what i hear through the monitors, but what I monitor will only be 1 round-trip across the firewire bus which is exactly the same as now anyway.

Does this sound like a workable solution?

Cheers.

Here's what I do....maybe this is what you are meaning also.

I track OTB to tape...OK, that's not important for you...I then dump the tracks into my DAW via the interfaces, which is same as you would be doing as you record direct to DAW.
In the DAW, I edit/comp...and sometimes add processing as needed, to sort of pre-mix the tracks. So in your case, you could apply processing/FX in the DAW also.
Now...I bring all my tracks out of the DAW out to my mixer, and then I do most of my processing/FX using outboard gear. For you that would be the same, if you want to add whatever outboard processing you have.
Then as I mix through my console...the stereo mix goes to a 2-track tape deck (again, not important for you)...and from there it goes back to the DAW as a stereo file. You would be doing the same from your mixer.

Doing it that way...some mixing/processing in the DAW, and then more during the OTB mix through the console with outboard gear...there's no latency issues.
I thought you wanted to use the mixer to add outboard processing while mixing ITB in the DAW...and then you could have some issues...but if you are basically doing it like I described...sure, it works fine and it's all in real-time once it comes out of the DAW.

Doing it that way...some mixing/processing in the DAW, and then more during the OTB mix through the console with outboard gear...there's no latency issues.
I thought you wanted to use the mixer to add outboard processing while mixing ITB in the DAW...and then you could have some issues...but if you are basically doing it like I described...sure, it works fine and it's all in real-time once it comes out of the DAW.

Yes that's what I'm thinking of. Thanks for the advice :).
I presume you plug your monitors directly into the the mixer or tape deck (after 1 round trip of firewire bus)? i.e. before it goes back into the audio interface/DAW to record?

Back