Addictive drums programming

sausy1981

Hi Guys,
Not sure if this is the right section to post this question but I see programming my drum sounds as part of my recording process so here goes, I've been wondering and doing some experimentation on midi velocities for kit pieces in addictive drums. I was wondering what other peoples approaches are to midi velocities for addictive drums. For example I have a project that is full, 3 guitars, bass, vocals, synths and drums. I have my Kick velocity between 105 - 115, my snare is 110 - 120, my hi hats are 90 - 100, and crashes are 95 - 100. While experimenting and exploring the preset patterns in Addictive drums I noticed that the presets more often than not will use softer velocities. What are your guys approach or anybody got any ideas?

Cheers guys.

I generally do quite complex drum programming and don't use presets, and have given up on Addictive Drums for snare sounds, preferring Steven Slate, however I would generally be running my base snare at about 90 and going up and down about 10 depending upon what I was doing, with grace notes at about 40 - 50.

Kick I generally kept in the 50 - 70 range.

Hi hats I have much greater dynamic range. Any particular pattern would have hits from 70 down to 30, allowing me to put a rhythm into the hats as a real drummer would. Crashes are about 60 -80...

I often use the preset beats and sometimes find myself selecting an entire region, a chorus for example, and raising the velocity of all hits equally.
That maintains the natural sounding differences in the pattern.

Thanks guys, I usually don't use the presets, I tend to programme a 4 bar loop ten slighltly alter it for the next four bars, then change it up in the chorus's then go back over and add fills and crashes. I'm with you on the snare samples man, I have sonar x3 producer which comes with shitloads of content and samples so if I need to I sample replace my sample LOL. One thing I have noticed is that the Kick is almost always much lower in velocity than the snare in the presets so I've started to incorporate that into my programming, The hardest part is getting the sounds of the cymbals right.

My advice is to get some kind of velocity sensitive controller or cheap ekit you can bang on with sticks. You can program the kick and hat and play everything else around it in the beginning.

What I like more in AD is exactly the presets either for the drum kits as well for the beats. basically the only tweaks I do is to displace a kick or snare here and there and apply an irregular level envelope to the pieces (specially the hi-hat) to try to simulate the difference of strength in every beat. Other than that I won't touch anything else because not being a drummer and not being great with EQ and such I certainly will screw things. LoL!

:)

Back