Acoustic Guitar Recording

twelvevolt

I have had some trouble recording acoustic guitar, I keep getting booming sounds coming through on the play back.
I am thinking it is the bass from the guitar and would like to know if that could be fixed in mixing. Is it my mic?
Could it be my guitar, it is a Takamine mid to low end guitar.

Thanks

I have had some trouble recording acoustic guitar, I keep getting booming sounds coming through on the play back.
I am thinking it is the bass from the guitar and would like to know if that could be fixed in mixing. Is it my mic?

Thanks

The received wisdom is that it is easier to get ac' git right with two mics. This is not 'stereo' the mics can be any mix it seems? Capacitor and dynamic. This is just one reason I always groan when a noob posts.."Just bought a Solo....."!!

But then "Acoustic Guitar" can be many things. Bedroom jockey just wanting to build track or 'real' Classical guitar and for the latter you would want it in stereo using some lovely ribbons well back in a terrific room!

Dave.

Dude you are really idiot, I AM A NOOB, what are you supposed to be hazing me loser, that is why you get no dates because you are straight an idiot.

Dude you are really idiot, I AM A NOOB, what are you supposed to be hazing me loser, that is why you get no dates because you are straight an idiot.

Whoa, easy big guy. Dave was answering the question. If you read the article Pinky posted, then read Dave's comments, you will see he is not giving you a bad way, just giving it to you straight.

Trust me, Dave is the nicest guy on the board. Pretty smart too.

Whoa, easy big guy. Dave was answering the question. If you read the article Pinky posted, then read Dave's comments, you will see he is not giving you a bad way, just giving it to you straight.

Trust me, Dave is the nicest guy on the board. Pretty smart too.

Thank you DM WTF did that come from? If the OP can quote a specific point that has upset him I shall try to rectify the matter.

Dave (The Bstd, Apparently!)

Thanks

Dude, its that crappy guitar, burn it!

Seriously, you haven't told us any details. What mic(s) are you using? Have you tried different positions? What other gear do you have? Is the room you track in acoustically treated? There's a 22 page 'Acoustic Guitar Recording 1010' thread pinned to the top of this section of the forums, do a little reading and experimenting.

You can call Dave (ecc83) many things, but he's certainly the furthest thing from a loser.

It doesn't sound like you understood Dave's reply, and that's perhaps partly Dave's fault for being a touch cryptic in his response. Maybe you should start over, take a deep breath, and follow a couple of the suggestions already posted and come back with some specific info about your setup and perhaps post an example recording so we can hear what's going on.

"Cryptic" Pinks? !!!
I consider myself the very model of non-discumbobbulation!

Also, 40 years as a domestic electronics service tech' dealing with Joe Public has given me a very thick skin.

Dave.

"Cryptic" Pinks? !!!

Also, 40 years as a domestic electronics service tech' dealing with Joe Public has given me a very thick skin.

Dave.

Yes you are very plain spoken Dave!

"Cryptic" Pinks? !!!

Dave.

You brits with your cleverisms and funny punctuation make it tough for us in the West. I can even hear the accent sometimes when I'm reading. :p

You brits with your cleverisms and funny punctuation make it tough for us in the West. I can even hear the accent sometimes when I'm reading. :p

What!? I don't HAVE an accent! I am English! Heh! I can assure you I don't speak nearly as posh as I type. Been at it a while, done a few articles for audio and electronics hobby mags in the past.

Thing is Pinks, as new noobs come in we are perforce repeating ourselves (I don't mind that, the 40 years demo'ing product to JP fixed that) so I tend to chuck in a bit of variety and attack things from an oblique angle sometimes..SOME times that causes confusion and, hopefully rarely, rabid attack! But my default position is. IF I write something not understood..FFS TELL me! I can then break it down and have another do.

Dave.

What!? I don't HAVE an accent! I am English! Heh! I can assure you I don't speak nearly as posh as I type. Been at it a while, done a few articles for audio and electronics hobby mags in the past.

Thing is Pinks, as new noobs come in we are perforce repeating ourselves (I don't mind that, the 40 years demo'ing product to JP fixed that) so I tend to chuck in a bit of variety and attack things from an oblique angle sometimes..SOME times that causes confusion and, hopefully rarely, rabid attack! But my default position is. IF I write something not understood..FFS TELL me! I can then break it down and have another do.

Dave.

I understand the need to be creative for sake of keeping your own mind engaged, but with communications the point isn't whether you understand what you're saying, it's whether the person you're interacting with understands. Just look at these two posts - which do you think the casual passer-by will have an easier time understanding the intent behind the words?

Keeping it simple and straight forward lessens the chance for misunderstanding. It may make for a boring read but the intent and information is clearly presented.

I understand the need to be creative for sake of keeping your own mind engaged, but with communications the point isn't whether you understand what you're saying, it's whether the person you're interacting with understands. Just look at these two posts - which do you think the casual passer-by will have an easier time understanding the intent behind the words?

Keeping it simple and straight forward lessens the chance for misunderstanding. It may make for a boring read but the intent and information is clearly presented.

Ah but see here my rose tinted friend! THAT is the trick, to make one's self understood but in a slightly novel way. You can't win 'em all but...

As we sometime tell peeps, we don't get paid to do this! We give of our time out of interest and in any case I expect even the noobiest noob to do a BIT of work and thinking. I rarely resort to the bald "RTFM!" but it is often in my mind as I write and maybe the sentiment perhaps tends to 'leak out'?

As my old boss in the TV retail game was often heard to say "We are not here to be shot at!"

Dave.

Wow. So much noob can learn, with patience. Recording requires constant learning, patience, effort. And there is a big difference between being new, and being immature.

If using mics more than likely you have the mic to close to the guitar, or directed at the sound hole. Either way this is an easy fix. Either move the mic away a bit till you get what you want, or if pointed at the sound hole, move it till it's pointing towards the 12th fret. Also inside the DAW ( I guess you are using a software program). Put an EQ, on the AC guitar track look for HPF (high pass filter) and use that. You'll have to do a bit of learning but, tons and tons of you tube videos on all this, plus posted info, right here as stickys , just do some research.

Dood. WTF? We share our experiences here. Yours may be different from others.

2 posts in and you are calling a seasoned member an idiot? Best to you and goodbye. Best to you.

Come back when you realize you are the idiot.

Back