Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Thread: Acoustic Guitar Recording 101

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have just starting recording acoustic guitar. I have a Canadian Garrison acoustic that I record with a stereo pair of Beyerdynamic MC 930s and I have been getting good results!

Thanks
    good sound..

Thanks
    Thnx

Thanks
    Another Thank You! As far as the earlier posts about noise gating fans... DON'T. Your ear kinda turns fans and other "background noises" into "Background noises" if they're steady state. But if you gate it, that "broadband background noise" becomes much more noticeably pitched noise, and it sounds like someone ringing a gong.

I just recorded my baritone acoustic, single AT2020 at the 14th fret or so. I like the sound I got - this guitar (Alvarez ABT-60, but tuned up to C#) has a bit of the jumbo heavy footprint, but when pushed hard (and why else would you buy a jumbo) it has an nice searing upper-mid midrange tone that makes leads jump out.

I was recording a hard driving acoustic guitar based tune, and while I liked the guitar, when I added a bass, the baritone is just stomping all over the bass. It doesn't sound woofy to me, just authoritative. I'm not sure about thinning it out any though, as it really IS the song. The bass is pretty standard picked p-bass driving straight 8's, but it just dissapears under the guitar.

Thanks
    The links to audio files in the first post are broken.

Thanks
    I find one of the best methods is to use figure 8 polar pattern microphones especially if also recording vocals. The side rejection really allows me to get a lot of guitar level without the sound of the chair creaking or my over active foot stamping on the floor!

A little trick I learnt from one of Nightwish's recording engineers who I was lucky enough to have as a lecturer at uni.

Thanks
    The links have been replaced with current ones.

Thanks for taking the time to read White Strat's excellent tutorial on recording acoustic guitar. Always a difficult task in home recording.

And thanks again to White Strat for putting this together and then updating the links.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey everyone - I have found a way to record my acoustic (Alvarez Artist) that is giving me very sweet results to discuss. When I get this song done, I will include a link. After trying several methods, for this I am using a Mid-Side mic set up in front of my (new and love it) Fishman Loud Box Mini amp. I have not read or heard much about doing this on an acoustic amp. I am leaving the on board pickup EQ flat, and on the amp dry with no Fx on. I'm setting the Loudbox EQ to taste, but with low and high up some past middle, and mid slightly down. That amp is extremely quiet even during idle, so when playing soft, or at a quick break, the recording is virtually quiet at those point. In my DAW (Sonar X1 Producer), from the guitar bus where I sent the three channels of the M-S tracks, I am sending to a Waves verb bus. The first time played on monitors I was like WOW..... I am sticking with this method for now. Charles

Thanks
    Hello everyone, this a really insightful. Just what I was hoping to find when joining. I'll be trying this out as soon as I get settled from moving. Thanks for a great post.
    My Gear-Audio Box USB, MXL CR-24/MXL CR-24p condenser Mics, Studio One 3, Sony MDR-7510 phones, Presonus Eris E4.5" Near Field Studio Monitors

Thanks
    Many thx for this.

Thread Information