Acoustic Guitar Recording 101

Yet another newbie here saying thanks for this great post!

I see you get the same problem with breathing on your recordings. Do people worry about this or is it just part of the natural sound?

that post is what brings out the best in this forum. and it's the reason I keep coming back. I also like the way that this was not "the only way" to record...just how he did it for that particular session. Gave me a great starting point.
thanks

Hey guys! i'm sort of new to the forums, but i was wanting to get some feedback on the recording i did with one of my originals. I used both the pick-up on my guitar and a condenser mic to record. Just looking for some advice:)
It's the track called "Bring Out What's In."
Here's the link: Matt Lawton | Kostnadsfri musik, turnédatum, foton, videos

You've got a great sound there. The song and the guitar playing are very cool.

The drums sound over compressed--not as organic and dynamic as the style of the song seems to warrant. And as nice as your guitar playing is, the presence of the pickup is still noticeable to me. If you think you can duplicate that performance, you might try double tracking it (playing it twice--not duplicating the one performance) with just a mic and no pickup. Again--it might sound more "organic" or acoustic (no pun intended) and thus suit this style better.

I like to play guitar. The sounds of guitar are so peaty. You can use multi-miking in recording. To capture two speakers in a multi-speaker cab or to record a bigger sound that delivers the response of two different microphones in similar positions on one speaker, you can try using two mics in a close or semi-close placement. Thanks.

I've also found that recording one take of my guitar (multi or single mix) in one capo position and then another take with the capo in another position makes for some really full/lush sounds.

Nice write up WhiteStrat! It would have been nice to have something like this to guide me when I first started out but then that would have been to easy. :)

Hey--it took me years to stumble upon it! :)

Thanks for posting your entire process with the links. It's great to have references for recording, especially to learn one of the ways to do it.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

I've also found that recording one take of my guitar (multi or single mix) in one capo position and then another take with the capo in another position makes for some really full/lush sounds.

Yep--that's a favorite technique of mine--it can end up sounding like a twelve-string, but split into two channels. Very cool indeed...

Very informative and detailed, thanks!

You're welcome. Thanks for checking it out.

Supper tutorial. My main instrument is acoustic guitar and I have been trying out different configurations for recording...from the pic, that looks a lot like my Alvarez....similar inlay on the board, etc... Very nice. I am going to work on duplicating that process. What interface and DAW are you using ???

Back