Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Guitar Recording 101

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMorningstar View Post
    Great article WhiteStrat. I love those NT5's. They hardly require any processing and those black cables are pretty sweet too.

I know you said you did pretty close micing but can you tell us about the room too? -Thx
    Thanks! The room is what I call my "future studio." It's the size and shape of my studio, and it's got all my gear--but it's nowhere near finished. It's in the basement and has a 10' tall cement wall running down one side, and open 2x4 stud walls on the other three sides (the "room" is 16' x 26').

I actually use the unfinished walls to my benefit. I always face out through the long unifnished wall when tracking my acoustic. There's a touch of natural 'verb there, but no harsh room or wall stuff, because there's no room or walls! Seriously, the basement is big, so the nearest solid wall or corner is over 20 feet away. So for intimate stuff like that, I get close to the mics and nothing comes back.

I do have a rather large collection of 703 panels. They'll go on the walls someday, but I've built stands for them, and I use 'em as gobos to make psuedo-booths. So when I'm recording a bigger banging acoustic sound (or vox or drums for that matter), I use those panels to make an odd shaped room for tracking. For acoustic, I'd play inside a "shell" of 4 panels arranged somewhere between a "V" and a semi-circle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Thanks for sharing this Strat!! I think it's worth stickie status.
    If you think so, go for it. I'm okay with that.

EDIT: Never mind. I see you already did.
    Last edited by WhiteStrat; 10-20-2009 at 09:58. Reason: I'm an obliviot.

Thanks
    Whitestrat, thanks for posting this man, this is a really cool walkthrough of your acoustic process. Out of curiosity, what were your MBC settings?

I'm surprised you really needed that second mic on the lead - I was reading that section before I listened to the clip, and my initial reaction was that you were crazy. But yet, when I then went to listen to it, it did sound kind of thin.... Maybe a single LDC in its place...? Idunno, I should try doing something like this and see where I end up.

The other observation - that mono track definitely sounds a lot smaller and darker than the full stereo spread... But I could totally hear that sound working for, say, an unaccompanied guitar and vocal introduction, and then when the rest of the band kicks in panning it wide and bringing up the second mic and second take. It wasn't a "lush" acoustic tone, but it was a pretty damned cool one, IMO.

I guess the only other note I would add to WS's excellent post here is, more so than any other guitar situation I can think of, the source sound matters SO much when tracking acoustics. It doesn't have to be an expensive guitar, necessarily - I've played some great sounding budget guitars - but if it's not a particularly lush sounding guitar, or if your strings are shot or if there are weird rattles and resonances or something, then almost nothing you can do will fix that sound. Acoustic guitar is something we as listeners are used to hearing very "pure" and intimate, in ways you wouldn't say about a clean or distorted electric, really, so far more than anything else in the signal chain a good source is going to be crucial. I've heard great rhythm tones out of shitty 15-watt solid state combos, but I've never heard a bad-sounding acoustic be made sound good on tape.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a little dicier." - David Foster Wallace (1962-2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPeterson7 View Post
    Whitestrat, thanks for posting this man, this is a really cool walkthrough of your acoustic process. Out of curiosity, what were your MBC settings?

I'm surprised you really needed that second mic on the lead - I was reading that section before I listened to the clip, and my initial reaction was that you were crazy. But yet, when I then went to listen to it, it did sound kind of thin.... Maybe a single LDC in its place...? Idunno, I should try doing something like this and see where I end up.

The other observation - that mono track definitely sounds a lot smaller and darker than the full stereo spread... But I could totally hear that sound working for, say, an unaccompanied guitar and vocal introduction, and then when the rest of the band kicks in panning it wide and bringing up the second mic and second take. It wasn't a "lush" acoustic tone, but it was a pretty damned cool one, IMO.

I guess the only other note I would add to WS's excellent post here is, more so than any other guitar situation I can think of, the source sound matters SO much when tracking acoustics. It doesn't have to be an expensive guitar, necessarily - I've played some great sounding budget guitars - but if it's not a particularly lush sounding guitar, or if your strings are shot or if there are weird rattles and resonances or something, then almost nothing you can do will fix that sound. Acoustic guitar is something we as listeners are used to hearing very "pure" and intimate, in ways you wouldn't say about a clean or distorted electric, really, so far more than anything else in the signal chain a good source is going to be crucial. I've heard great rhythm tones out of shitty 15-watt solid state combos, but I've never heard a bad-sounding acoustic be made sound good on tape.
    This is troof! I certainly didn't mean to gloss over the need for a great guitar sound before you even hit the red button. I bought mine with recording in mind (don't play out much at all) and didn't have tons of money at the time. I spent over 4 months researching and playing guits. I like the Seagulls because they'll sacrifice the bling to get a great sounding guitar down to a lower price point. Since then, I've thought of upgrading, and believe me, I've looked. I have found numerous $2,000 and $3,000 that play as well--and certainly look better--but none that sound any better. So I've not bought another one.

I'm pretty sure I got lucky--they can't all sound that good. But every time I pick it up--it passes the smile test. (And FWIW--I haven't recorded a ton of other acts, but I've only had one that didn't use my guitar after hearing it tracked.)

Yep...gotta have the sound first.

Thanks
    People are always looking for ways to get better acoustic guitar recordings, myself included. This has given me some new ideas, as I'm sure it has many others. Thanks for sharing this! It surely took some time and effort.

http://project4music.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/project-4/id375600080

Thanks
    Great post, and thank you for posting the pic, as well. Even though I don't play guitar (yet), I've recorded many acoustics, and have always found the result lacking.
    --PoeticIntensity
    ArtCitySound.com

Thanks
    Thanks for the walk through WhiteStrat. I haven't recorded anything for ages. Makes me wanna get into it.
    I really...really...REALLY have no idea what I'm talking about...AT ALL.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Allen View Post
    Thanks for the walk through WhiteStrat. I haven't recorded anything for ages. Makes me wanna get into it.
    You're welcome. Now go record something.

NOW!!!

Thanks
    This is an awesome tutorial! THANKS!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bvp663 View Post
    This is an awesome tutorial! THANKS!
    You're welcome!

Thread Information