Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Guitar Recording 101

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by antichef View Post
    Very nice, Strat! I sometimes experiment with cables of other colors, but keep going back to black as well

Learning / knowing the room you're in is really important (at least as much as the color of the cables) - I recently moved to a new house - this weekend I set up with my normal XY, silk rug, etc., etc., in the new living room and got some really crappy tracks where I know I would have had good ones in the old living room. Live & learn! Also, I've been using my ACMP73s for a lot of things, but haven't tried them on the acoustic yet -- I'll have to soon. Despite all the sturm und drang of the group buy, I think we made out like bandits with those pres - I like them more every time I use them.

Your description is awesome - while it's ultimately true that there are no rules and your ears need to decide, and stuff like that, having a detailed description of one great approach is immensely valuable for folks who are trying to figure out how to approach the problem.
    Hey Chef!

I'm with you--black cables are the foundation of my sound. And I agree about the pre's--I love my 73's. I bought 2 in the GB and then 2 more off of someone here.

Thanks for the props.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by famous beagle View Post
    Thanks a lot for doing this! It's really great to hear everything come together bit by bit, and your thorough explanations are greatly appreciated.

Great-sounding track.

Edit: Too many "great" references, huh? Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete2112 View Post
    Wow! That's a great sounding track. I'm definitely going to try some of these techniques the next time I record with the acoustic. Great job!
    Thanks dudes!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
    Excellent thread..and thanks for taking time out to post it.

I have difficulties recording my acoustic (most instruments in fact lol) I have a condenser and a dynamic...would it be best to have the condenser near the hole and the dynamic on the neck? or just use the condenser?
    In that situation, if I were going for a stereo recording of a single take, I'd put the condenser on the neck side and the dynamic down on on the body. But if I were going to double track (which I always do if it's not complete improv) I'd probably not even use the dynamic. I'd use the condenser on the neck--experimenting with placements slightly closer to the soundhole to get some more bottom end--and play it twice for my stereo effect.

It sounds odd, but of the two placements, the neck mic (angled towards the hole) is the "main" mic--not the body mic. Both give you some stereo, but if you use just one, the neck position is usually a more balanced picture of your guitar's sound.

Thanks
    very cool post.

I have always saw the need for an acoustic guitar stand that holds the guitar in the playing position. Especially for the homerecording artist, because sometimes you need to get up to tweak this or or that or better yet go to take a piss and not have to worry about placement when you sit back down. I hate having to set the guitar down, picking it up , and knocking shit over in the process.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteStrat View Post
    In that situation, if I were going for a stereo recording of a single take, I'd put the condenser on the neck side and the dynamic down on on the body. But if I were going to double track (which I always do if it's not complete improv) I'd probably not even use the dynamic. I'd use the condenser on the neck--experimenting with placements slightly closer to the soundhole to get some more bottom end--and play it twice for my stereo effect.

It sounds odd, but of the two placements, the neck mic (angled towards the hole) is the "main" mic--not the body mic. Both give you some stereo, but if you use just one, the neck position is usually a more balanced picture of your guitar's sound.

thanks mate..i will try this out..really helped
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gcapel View Post
    very cool post.

I have always saw the need for an acoustic guitar stand that holds the guitar in the playing position. Especially for the homerecording artist, because sometimes you need to get up to tweak this or or that or better yet go to take a piss and not have to worry about placement when you sit back down. I hate having to set the guitar down, picking it up , and knocking shit over in the process.
    There's a stand like that, but it ain't cheap, and it ain't comfortable. I've used it in a live setting to leave my electric on my body, and switch to the acoustic real quick.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayc View Post
    When I 1st heard it I said it was super cool.
    Now, after travelling with it through creative construction I dig it even more.
    I'm impressed by it & the how.
    Thanks Ray. I really appreciate it!

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing this Strat!! I think it's worth stickie status.

Thanks
    I've been recording in stereo (nearly hard left and hard right), but because a majority of my recordings are simply acoustic guitar and vocal, the sound wasn't quite full enough for me. I just tried out your doubling and "opposite" panning technique, and I must say I'm astounded by the difference it made! A much fuller sound, while maintaining an intimate, acoustic sound. I have so much to learn...

Cheers,
    Michael

Thanks
    Great article WhiteStrat. I love those NT5's. They hardly require any processing and those black cables are pretty sweet too.

I know you said you did pretty close micing but can you tell us about the room too? -Thx
    Busy recording...
    http://nysteacherjobs.com/

Thread Information