Acoustic Foam Question.

mistahx505

I gotta sound booth and i covered the walls with regular bed foam u buy at walmart has bumps on it . is there an advantage to having real acoustic foam in a booth is there any diffrence is what im asking..

I got a vocal booth where the walls are 100% covered with "bed foam", and a live room where tha walls are covered maybe 40% with acoustic panels, diffusors and basstraps.

The live room obviously sounds better, and a lot more controlled in the lowmid and bass. The vocal booth works fine for vocals though, even though the live room is clearly the winner there too.

The live room isn't much more "live" than the booth actually. Some more liveness, but not much. So, with the walls being covered only a fraction of what's in the booth, it's obvious that the panels to a much better job at absorbing frequencies.

Also, the diffusors and bass traps in the live room makes for a more balanced sound all the way through the different freqency ranges, which is a must for tracking drums, bass amps, and other things.

But again, the booth works fine for vocals. I wouldn't consider it a must to use better materials för vocals only, but if you're gonna track anything more bassy in there, or if you're going for a more all-round room that can track anything, bed foam is out.

Back