Acoustic or Electric Drums for Room Studio...

dann_xo

Hey,
I'm running a studio from my room and only programme drums at the moment using halionONE and EZdrummer programmes.
I run Cubase 5 off my computer with a Peavey PV-8 mixer into a behringer U-Control - lame I know haha.

I was wondering which would be best to upgrade to. Either Electronic drums and record via that or acoustic drums with mics and then use triggers?

Any advice would be a great help.

Cheers

Dann

I was wondering which would be best to upgrade to. Either Electronic drums and record via that or acoustic drums with mics and then use triggers?

Why not just acoustic drums with mics????

A good drummer, on good drums, in a good room, recorded well.... You wont need triggers.

It's easy to screw up drum tracks if any one of those 4 aren't there.. I'm missing more than 1 of those criteria, in fact it could be argued that I have NONE of those, so I have v-drums...

A good drummer, on good drums, in a good room, recorded well.... You wont need triggers.

I'm missing the 'room' part of that statement :/ Its just my bedroom so its not acoustically treated or anything which is what I'm most worried about when capturing the sounds from an acoustic drum kit.

Thanks for the feedback so far :)

Any more opinions?

Both will net the same thing....to trigger your samples. You have to decide the pros and cons for your situation. Such as will a real kit fit into your romm allowing space to work? Do you live in a dorm, apartment, house? Do you need a full kit to gig with? No one can answer these types of questions for you.

I'm missing the 'room' part of that statement :/ Its just my bedroom so its not acoustically treated or anything which is what I'm most worried about when capturing the sounds from an acoustic drum kit.

Thanks for the feedback so far :)

Any more opinions?

Have you considered using an online service to get your drum tracks? Possibly such as this one? www.advancedonlinedrums.com

(full disclosure... I'm the drummer on that site, but I'd love to help out)

Back