Acoustic Cave

This has to be a bad idea for some reason, right?

What would happen if I built a little acoustic cave to surround my mic? We record 'live' so I obviously have a lot of bleed. I was thinking about cutting up some Owens Corning 703 and making a small surround, cave or box for my kick mic, etc.
Others have suggested putting a bass trap on the other side of the mic from the amp (or kick) but I was thinking about taking it a step further and shaping it. I've never heard of
anyone trying it, and I assume that's a good reason, but I can't think of one.
Does my idea come across?
Thoughts?
-j

It won't stop the bleed...and it might kill the sound with the mic all boxed in.

You can try it....there are similar ready-made products, but they fall into the "gimmick" category for the most part.
If you really feel like making something...build some gobos so that you can surround your mic AND the drum kit all at once.
That's the bes way to deal with creating some separating when recording multi-instruments in the same room.

Here...this guy built his own and did a top-notch job.
You can make them a little "rougher" and simpler and still have them look nice and do the job for you....all depedns how involved you want to get and how much money/time you want to spend.

Composer MARK WOLFRAM

It won't stop the bleed...and it might kill the sound with the mic all boxed in.

You can try it....there are similar ready-made products, but they fall into the "gimmick" category for the most part.
If you really feel like making something...build some gobos so that you can surround your mic AND the drum kit all at once.
That's the bes way to deal with creating some separating when recording multi-instruments in the same room.

Here...this guy built his own and did a top-notch job.
You can make them a little "rougher" and simpler and still have them look nice and do the job for you....all depedns how involved you want to get and how much money/time you want to spend.

Composer MARK WOLFRAM
Wait. Didn't you build some kind of tent for your amp?

Back