Achieving That Professional Vocal Sound:

Given this advice now I'm going to treat my room as best as possible and work on getting an interface to work more fluently with Pro Tools 11. I still can't for the life of me get the Zoom H4N to function as an interface with the DAW, but if anyone knows how this connection can be done PLEASE let me know, I've been searching for a way for way too long and can't seem to find any solid answers on the internet anywhere. Anyone know? Thanks guys

When you connect your H4n to your computer with a USB cable, you are supposed to get two options on the H4n itself. I haven't got mine here but I think it is something along the lines of "A/I" and "Storage". "A/I" means audio-interface so you have to choose that one, and should be able to locate it through your DAW afterwards. That said, this function is not compatible with all computers. I have a AMD-based laptop and it doesn't work on that one.

I recently tried to use my H4n as an audio interface and had a lot of distortion going on. It would be fine for like a few notes, then it would be silent, then it would come in with a bunch of notes - wrong notes that I swear I didn't play! - it was frustrating. I was using it on a Mac into Audacity, so it should have been simple. I think it's just a case of jack of all trades, master of a few, and audio interface isn't one of them.

Anyways, I wouldn't spend too much more time on it. If it doesn't work, you may have to record on the Zoom, and then import that audio file into your DAW.

Back