acc gut, studio has reflective side And absorbing side..whats best

earworm

ok, i know i'll have to move the mics to see what gives the best results,
but this week i got a session of 4 hours and no longer so it'll have to go quick,

i'm gonna record two cover songs: accoustic guitar (semi accoustic),
female and male singer and a keyboard

its a nice little studio with an 02R, the recording booth has on one side reflective panels and on the other absorbant "walls" (like basstraps)

when i record hiphop MC's in there i get the best results when their back is against the absorbing walls, and they look at the reflective side of the booth,
but now accoustic guitars, i've only recorded those in my bedroom, now i got the opportunity to do it in a better invironment, and i read that you might get "the best" (WHOA) results in a reflective area,

so what would you do, place the guitarist on a small chair with his back 'against' the reflective walls? and would you put him in a corner or like in the center/the middle of the wall?

about the size of the booth, my estimations are that its .... 6 meters long and maybe 2 meters wide...ABOUT, its probably bigger, its not a real rectangular booth, its got a bit "off axis" walls, or how you say it,
and there's a door with SINGLE glass (which i find stupid) (no double glass with gass between the layers or something....guess they wanted it cheap)

the mics i'll use are my Oktava Mk12's , i'll also have the opportunity to use an SE electronics Gemini (tube) which is a nice mic,

but i think its best to record the guitar in stereo since there won't be too much else in the mix, and once again i have to ask: where is YOUR starting point when you record acc gut in stereo? i've only done it in mono with an AKG 414 looking at the spot where "the neck touches the body" of the guitar

now i think i'll just put my XY pair about a meter in front of the guitarist and let them look down a bit, with 'the central part' of the two mics looking at that same spot, where the neck hits the body...

any suggestions are highly welcome, and i'll take pictures of how i work,
recording is this thursday,
bad news is, i'm not allowed to take the tracks with me, i can just copy the mixdown (or tracks) on minidisc (jééééééé) and then i gotto find someone with a portable minidisc player and hook that up to my computer so if i'll let you guys hear what i did....then some quality will already be gone

cheers,

earworm

Back