9 Drum Tracks in Two Days... remote drum recording...

Blue Bear Sound

I just finshed an entire weekend of remote recording of drum tracks... thought I'd post a summary for any who are interested..........

Gear Plan
Since my studio is not mobile in any way, I decided to rent all the gear and make my life easier.... the mics used were 2 AKG 451s on overheads, an AKG 460 on hi-hat, SM57 on snare, AKG D112 on kick, and 3 Sennheiser 421s on toms.

I wanted to live within 8 tracks for all the drums and a guide track (click with bass line and vocals), so I ended up an ADAT XT20 and a Mackie 1604vlz....

The Channel breakdown was -
Channel 1 - kick (direct out to tape)
Channel 2 - snare (direct out to tape)
Channel 3 - hi-hat (direct out to tape)
Channel 4 - hi-tom (submixed to stereo pair)
Channel 5 - mid-tom (submixed to stereo pair)
Channel 6 - flr tom (submixed to stereo pair)
Channel 7 - overhead (left) (direct out to tape)
Channel 8 - overhead (right) (direct out to tape)

And on the ADAT -
Track 1 - kick
Track 2 - snare
Track 3 - hi-hat
Track 4/5 - stereo toms
Track 6/7 - stereo overheads
Track 8 - scratch/click track

Setup and sound check......
Get to the location - basement room, about 25 by 10, carpeted, with blanket dampers hanging from the ceiling over the drums.... not pretty, but works to tame the unwanted "basement ambience". Even I was surprised at how much it dampened the room anomalies.... but still, needed to tame the wall reflections so up went the thick moving blankets around the kit (which was already mounted on a carpeted drum riser.)

Set up the mics and stands, now for the fun stuff, power up the board and see what we got.... incidently, my main monitoring was via BeyerDynamics 770Pro headphones (ideally suited to the task of remote location recording due to it's excellent response and effective isolation from exterior noise). The drummer got a feed from a pair of auxes from the board, run into the massive sound blaster he had behind him, then using AKG M40FS cans from there. My assistant got the same phones feed off the board as I did.

Very first thing to check (instead of each individual mic) is the overheads and room mics - since I wasn't using room mics, that task was cut in half!)... Throw up the faders on the o/h and voila! the sound was there first shot - no cymbal flanging of any kind between the pair..... nice! Of course, all EQ was flat at this point........ the kit sounded sweet and solid, nice decaying on all cymbals sounds and nothing had an hint of harshness.

We're on the right track --- next up the kick.... oh uh... the drummer had a front shell on it with the hole cut out of the skin for live sound..... he wanted me to try it that way first - BIG problem... sounded tubby and flabby with no attack.... gotta get that skin off of there and bring the 112 inside the shell, with a nice damping blanket in there...... did that, adjusted the mic so it's about 5 inches and slightly off-centre of the beater.......... ahhhhh!!! That's the stuff, nice, punchy, but with that kick you in the chest thump kinda sound... there we go....

Snare's up - nasty ringing... gotta muffle it a bit - we played with skin damping but there was still a hard ring that cut thru everything (and not in a good way...) More experimentation led to the drummer replacing the skin and putting a damping ring on it - perfect.... meaty sound, not the punchy tight jazz fusion type of snare, but that's what the material was calling for, so..... it sounded great!

Hi-hat - not too hard there threw the 460 over the top, aimed down about 2-3 inches inside from the edge of the cymbal and aimed it to get the sweetest tone. 1 inch DOES definitely make a difference between harsh and soft. The drummer had strict orders not to move that mic even a fraction!!!!! When you find the spot, you gotta stick with it!!! :)

Now the toms......... these could have been easy, but they weren't......... heavy ringing, and the mics were picking up all kinds of buzzing from them... the hardware rattles were handled by tightening everything and when we thought we had it, everything was sounding good when we noticed a buzzing when the mid-tom was struck.... checking the rack and hardware again - nothing.... turns out that the tom's tuning was causing a resonance in it's own shell which the mic clearly picked up... the drummer changed the tuning of the bottom head a bit and the problem disappeared. Cleaned-up the mic positioning a little bit on all the toms and we're off to the races.................

So everything's sounding good at the board, we're feeling brave enough to get something on tape to see how we did........................... record... record... record.... then the interesting part.... playback! That kick is solid - exactly what we thought we heard on check - excellent... snare, needed some minor EQ tweaks, on the upper mids and a bit of high-end shelving (we're talking 3-4 db at most, BTW!) Bring up the overheads - they rock... very sweet cymbal sounds, as is the hi-hat.... back to the tom stereo submix.......... another uh-oh.... pretty significant flanging between the toms tracks and the overheads.... phase issue - re-oriented the tom mics to a narrower area of the toms, and tried again... success - no flanging anymore!!! Again - can't stress enough, an inch can make a HUGE difference in what's being picked up by the mic.

So........ we record a bit, mainly 'cos I want to take the back to the studio to check it and make sure we're really hearing what we need to as it's being played back on the studio monitors. We shut 'er down for the evening and I head back to the studio, test cuts in hand.... power-up, hear we go... kick, overheads and hi-hat - very nice, smooth and sweet. Snare - not bad, still needs a bit more "snap", will adjust the mic tomorrow for that. Toms, a bit flabby with excessive low ring.... the mic's position can't be moved due to the phase problems, so we'll have to tame it with EQ a bit - oh well...

The Next 2 Days....
The next morning, after 3 Tim Horton extra large coffees, I make the necessary adjustments to the snare mic, and sweetened the a EQ a tad on it as well... the drummer had re-tuned the toms, so we tried again... success, the ringing was gone... I simply had to brighten them up a bit with high-shelving EQ.

The recording starts - 3 tracks down after 4 hours.... minimal punch-ins, with the drummer preferring to get the tracks down in one take as opposed to segments. Just as well, drum punch ins can be difficult, even on digital gear due to the many overlapping cymbal sounds. Many drummers don't necessarily recall exactly which cymbal they struck at a particular point, so if they use something else and there's a punch-in, it sounds REAL obvious... We ran into a problem with one of the clicks - on a particular solo section, the solo went off-time of the click, and it was impossible for the drummer to follow the click thru that - far too confusing... the lesson here kiddies is - if you're going the click/scratch track route to record, make sure whatever's on the click is in-time, the timing is a "by feel" thing, and it's tough to separate the 2 - following the click by feel, but then having to ignore an errant instrument at the same time... Anyways, this problem occurred on 2 of the 9 tracks... I solved by re-cutting the scratch tracks minus the bad solo bits, and it worked prefectly.

In the end we got 9 tracks of very solid, and very good sounding drums all done in a single weekend... I wouldn't want to do that too many times - it is very tiring, after all, but it's all worth it when you listen back to it and go "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's the stuff..."!!!!

Bruce
:)

Excellent article Bruce...I know I speak for everyone when I say thanks for taking the time and effort to fill us in on this session!

Mark

Hey Bruce. How do you like those 451s? It's funny that you're doing drums right now too cause I'm getting ready to do the same thing ( record drums elsewhere and bring it back to the studio). I just got access to an old factory and I'm going to be doing the drums in the old cafateria. It's 50' by 100" with 20' cielings. I'll be using 4033s as overheads, 441s on the toms, 57 on the top of the snare and D12s in the kicks. I'll be using a pair of SM-81s for room mics. As you're doing I'll be using a Mackie 1604 VLZ for pre's into two 20 bit ADATs. If anybody's interested I'll post results. It otta be cool.

The 451s are very, very nice -- lush, smooth and sweet on the cymbals... no harshness at all.

I must admit, I didn't care for the Mackie 1604 .... no - not 'cos of the mic pres (they did just fine!), but the overall board itself... I'm used to my 8-buss and the 1604 just didn't have as solid a feel... I also hated how cramped it's layout was -- very difficult for old bear paws here!!! Another I would have liked was defeatable EQ, not to mention 2 bands of full parametric... but hey... it did in a pinch!!

Note to all (including SoundCracker!) - notice my complaints have nothing whatsoever to do with sound quality of the board!!!! Just subjective preferences!!! ;)

Bruce

:D

Do you have any clips of your recordings or band?
I havn't had the chance to hear any of your work and your site has nothing on it.

Man, I get a boner reading articles like this...posts like this one, Bruce,epitomize what this website is all about...

Thanks,

GIDGE

Shailat said:
Do you have any clips of your recordings or band?
I havn't had the chance to hear any of your work and your site has nothing on it.
I have no permission to post clips from any of my clients' work, but maybe a few snippets off my band's first CD when it's completed.... I have side-projects in the works, but I seem to be recording everyone else lately, so I have little to no time to complete any of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll dig something up at some point and pass it along...

Bruce
:)

Blue Bear Sound said:
We ran into a problem with one of the clicks - on a particular solo section, the solo went off-time of the click, and it was impossible for the drummer to follow the click thru that - far too confusing... the lesson here kiddies is - if you're going the click/scratch track route to record, make sure whatever's on the click is in-time, the timing is a "by feel" thing, and it's tough to separate the 2 - following the click by feel, but then having to ignore an errant instrument at the same time

Why did your have a drummer play to a already soloed part?
And if this was a guide, you could have muted for that section the solo and left the click.

The guide track was scratch instruments - bassline, vocal, piano rhythm and some solo segments (just to keep track of where he was in the tune) plus the click, all on the one track - unfortunately a section of the solo part was sloppy and was throwing the drummer off.......... for the most part - most scratches were bass, vocal, and click - just a couple of exceptions that threw a monkey wrench into things.....

If I was in the studio of course, I would have been able to mute anything or provide the headphone mix required on demand, but remotely, I was dealing with prepped tapes (guide mix on track 8, tracks 1 thru 7 were for drums!)....

Blue Bear Sound,

Could you tell us how you placed the overheads. Do you use x/y pattern or other? In front or behind? How high (probably not much in basement)? I am just starting to use the NT3's that I got recently for overheads and I haven't settled on what I like best.

One side question - do you have problems getting players to back off of smoking during remote sessions like these? I hate that. Nothing like equipment with that "club" smell!

The overheads....

...were placed parallel to each other, aimed down, spaced about 4 feet apart, initially.... I was going to go with XY, but there wasn't enough height available to get the booms into place! (Low basement ceiling and the kit was on a 1.5ft riser!)

With the mic directly parallel, I found the separation a bit too distinct - so after listening to the test cut (at the location, on headphones), I angled each o/h slightly inward towards each other -- had to re-check in mono for any phase problems but it did the trick, much better left/right balance.

Re. the smoking issue -- I've never encountered the problem so far! I haven't done too many remote sessions, and of the ones I have done, the musicians smoked away outside of the session area... in this session, there were no smokers present -- just coffee-drinkers!!!!!!!! In that light, you want to keep coffee away from the board... it's IMPOSSIBLE to get all that sticky crap out of the pots if it ever spills!!!!!!

Bruce

Excellent post Bruce!!

I might just change my mind about buying used equipment from you now....

This is a 5 on the rate-o-meter.
- Mesh

Good stuff Bruce -
Your experience in this situation will come in handy 'cause when the time is right and the planets are properly aligned, I might corral a drummer into my basement. Having read this post has been quite enlightening, to say the least. I must also comment, if I may, on the "all at once" takes as opposed to "segmented" takes. I prefer the fluidity and seemless nature of the latter. Piecing bits together, can and, has been, a real audio nightmare. After frustrating yourself for so long, oftentimes you end up re-doin the whole thing anyway.

Help meeeeeeee!!!

Hi,
I would like to introduce myself as Vasanth david.J from india.. am at present doin my diploma in Audio Engineering in SAE (India).I have another four months before i finish this course.. as i come near to completion i have an 8 track live band recording assignment which i have to finish in about couple of days..
The problem am facing in recording a Live band within 8 tracks is the no availablity of space.. i even cant mic the whole drum kit!!..but i have planned out something which i dont know for sure wether it will work.. my plan goes like this..

Am planning to use
One mic for the bass drum.......Dynamic..Cardioid
One mic for the snare drum.... .Dynamic "
One mic for the first tom..........Dynamic. "
One mic for the next tom..........Dynamic "
One mic for the Floor tom........Dynamic. "
One for the Hihat......................Dynamic.... "
Two overhead mic's.................Condensors.
So its totally goin to be 8 drum mics just for the drum kit... What i want to know is can i Eq the three toms, Pan them Left center,right and bus them to one channelAnd then Eq The two overheads pan them Left and right and bus them to another channel.. say channel 2 in my A-dat.. now i would be using only 5 tracks for the whole Kit.. is this a sensible thing to do?and is this possible?!! will it tough for me to Eq the Toms and the overheads after i record them to my A-dat..
This is how my drum setup plan goes
and then am planning to record bass guitar with one amplifier (Mic in) and one Line in to D.I box..am latter planning to bus both these channels to one channel which would make it six alltogether so far..the next track i would take in the electric guitar and then the vocals. so by doin this i would be able to take a whole drumkit .
am not very sure whether this will work out..i would be really happy if anyone can give thier suggestions on this..
We have a Mackie 32 channel mixer.. alesis 8 track Adat recorder..
I will be more than happy if anyone out there can help me out in this by givin in thier suggestions..
My mail addy is Vasanthdavid@hotmail.com
or David.vasanth@mailcity.com

There are a variety of approaches here...

...you need to make some decisions on track dedication 'cos if I understand correctly you're limited to 8 tracks...

For the drum mix, you can go as low as 2 tracks for the entire kit if you get yourself a good mix on the board and know the sound you're shooting for (obviously you sacrifice some mix-down flexibility). You can also do 3 drum tracks - kick on 1, stereo mix of the rest of the kit on the other 2. Or you can go 4, which is what I consider a minimum for reasonable flexibility - kick on 1 track, snare on another, and the rest of the kit mixed to stereo on the remaining 2.

If you're limited as to tracks period, forget the amplified bass AND DI'd bass, stick with the DI signal. Later, you can always run the DI'd signal back thru an amp and capture the amp sound then... and besides, you don't want to be dealing with bass bleeding thru all your drum tracks!

By the way - the overheads will pick up the hi-hat just fine, the dedicated hi-hat mic is just for specific color and nuances.... so you can save yourself a mic there...

Not sure if this addresses all you concerns, but read it, make some decisions and come back to ask more!

;)

Bruce

Thanx for your sugesstions.. but i need more :-)

Hi,
thanx for your swift response... i think i will just take one D.I Bass..use no seprate mic for the hi hat.. (Will it be possible for me to Eq all the cymbals and the hi Hat?.
by doin this it would reduce my mic's for the drums to...7
can i use just one dynamic for both the toms (Tom1 and tom2?)...place it in the center... like what most sound engineers do in a live sound setup here in india...will that be a sensible thing to do?.. yes am defnitly goin to loose out on the stereo image of both the toms.. but i will also save one more track which to me sounds more precious now! :-) what do you say?..now i have six mic's to record.. Six seprate tracks for the drum kit huh?.. iwill have to record bass in one track and then Electric guita in another geeeeeessh!! i've run outta tracks!!! :-(
where am i goin to record the vocals?!!.. i still need another track for my vocals.. can i further reduce my drum mics.. say if i take of one over head and just place one of em in the center will it be possible for me to capture the hihat and both the cymbals?!! am planning to record a nice pop rock song.. this sounds like more of a jazz drum set up to me!!!.. help me out again!! plzzz

OK... thought I was clear... but I'll try again...

You can record the drums in only 4 tracks.

Track 1 -- kick only
Track 2 -- snare only
Tracks 3/4 -- toms, overheads submixed to stereo.

Track 5 -- Bass DI
Track 6 -- guitar
Track 7 -- vocal
Track 8 -- whatever!

Get your overheads sounding nice and smooth, watch for phase issues (collapse mix to mono and listen for flanging). You can mic 2 toms with one mic -- will work fine... Bring the tom mics into the mix with the overheads and blend them to taste -- you may need to EQ the toms a bit to trim unwanted ringing and accent other frequencies.

Get your kick sounding solid and punchy, but deep enough to get that "thump in the chest". Get your snare sounding the way you want....... EQ as needed only AFTER you've experimented with mic placement to try and get the sound you want.

Send the kick channel direct to track 1 on the tape. Send the snare channel direct to track 2 on the tape... submix the remaining drum mics to a stereo buss and send the buss channels to tracks 3 and 4 on the tape.........

There's your drums..... and you didn't need to sacrifice stereo toms....

Now get your other instruments in place on the board and record away!

Bruce

Thanx a million bruce!

Hi,
thanx a million for explaining it to me one more time.. took a while to get it into m nutshell... but hey am just learning remember.!! and besides we dont have so good lecturers in This damn SAE (India) so though i have attended class for about three months... i still know jack shit!!.. but yes am learning slowly but wholly on my own... thanx for the help bruce... i will do my assignment and send the mp3 to you.. you be the one to grade my assignment :-)
Thanx again!!
Vasanth

Hey Bruce,
If it's not to much trouble, do you think that you could post your drum samples from this session here? Cause I've got this thread bookmarked and post the link when I come across a "how do I mic my drums" thread, and I thought that if they could hear those samples of the session that it would make this thread even better. :)

Thanx,
-tkr

Back