8pre Firewire/8pre USB ADAT

KingHarvest

I had this posted in a differernt section, but I haven't gotten any replies. Was hoping I'd have better luck here.

I have a MOTU 8pre USB. These can be expanded upon, or serve as an expansion for another core system via ADAT.

I have what feels like a stupid question with an obvious answer, however I've no experience with ADAT so i'm not certain.

So I leave the 8pre where we rehearse, and I've been thinking that I would really like to be able to record tracks at home as well. I'd prefer not to have to tote it back & forth, I've got enough to carry w/my guitar, amp, pedalboard, etc.

My questions are:

1) If i buy a used MOTU 8pre Firewire interface to use at home, will this be compatible via it's ADAT out with my 8pre USB should I want to bring it with me to expand to 16 tracks of live recording? (I would use 8pre USB as interface, Firewire to serve as expansion at rehearsal if that matters, but if for some reason I wanted to bring the 8pre USB home I would then do the opposite.)

2) If a track is recorded via 8pre USB, will there be any issues with me recording/monitoring through an 8pre Firewire interface at home & vice versa?

I can't think of any reasons personally why this shouldn't work, but I'm hoping someone has actually tried it or is otherwise more certain about it than me.

Thanks in advance!

1: Yes, just got to spring for a fiber optic cable to make the connection.

2: No as long as you match clock speeds. So don't go recording at 44.1K at your reheasal space and come home to the firewire one set to 96K or something like that.

I also want to make it clear that there is limitation at higher clock settings on how many channels you can have so more than likely you are limited at either a max of 44.1K or 48K if you want 16 channels all at once.

Also it may not seem logical but the device that sets the clock is not the one connected to the computer, it's the external one (whatever you chose) that you connect to the other one.

So for example I have a profire 2626 and a didimax D8. The digimax, despite not being connected to my PC is the device that sets the clock for recording. In the settings of the profire when in stand alone mode the clock is set to internal, when I connect to the D8 it's set to Optical port A. Since you have one optical in yours will probably say just optical or the like. Since niether of the interfaces in question have S/PDIF your selection for clock will more than likely be either internal or something else.

The manual should walk you though how to do all this though.

I think the clock speed issue is more appropriate for question 1. Playback won't matter in most cases. Otherwise I agree completely.

Back