Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 57 on the snare

Thanks

57 on the snare

Sign in to disable this ad
    So let's pretend I'm playing drums on Led Zeppelin's reunion album. We're in the $10,000 a day studio, they've got the best of everything. The kits all mic'd up and there's an SM57 (yes they have 57s in this studio) on the snare. This thing's running through a $3000 preamp, Apogee converters, the best of the best into Pro Tools or whatever.

When we play back the snare track (of course this being my thread the drumming is Godlike and amazing) what would it sound like? Will it actually sound like someone hitting a snare drum, or would it just be that silly popping noise I get in my room at home that I have to EQ and compress the bejesus out of just to get something that vaguely resembles what a snare actually sounds like?

Thanks
    Who will be playing drums on this Led Zeppelin's reunion album?
    WARNING:
    THIS POST DOESN'T CONTAIN ANYTHING HELPFUL
    http://www.myspace.com/veritasrs
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by dragon: at 04:10

RAMI Guest
    I'm not sure what you're asking, Bull. Are you asking whether it's possible to get a good snare sound with a 57?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timboZ View Post
    Who will be playing drums on this Led Zeppelin's reunion album?
    Well this is my thread, so that would have to be me

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI View Post
    I'm not sure what you're asking, Bull. Are you asking whether it's possible to get a good snare sound with a 57?

What I'm asking is can the big guys get a sound from a 57 that could be used as is with little or no EQ or compression ?

The reason I ask is that the sound I get from a 57 on my snare doesn't begin to sound like a snare until I've processed the crap out of it. I'm wondering if this is due to poor micing technique, or something lacking in the recording chain

Thanks
    What have you done to the snare to make it record ready? I use a 57 on our snare and it sounds like a great snare. And then I EQ to taste.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulls Hit View Post
    So let's pretend I'm playing drums on Led Zeppelin's reunion album. We're in the $10,000 a day studio, they've got the best of everything. The kits all mic'd up and there's an SM57 (yes they have 57s in this studio) on the snare. This thing's running through a $3000 preamp, Apogee converters, the best of the best into Pro Tools or whatever.

When we play back the snare track (of course this being my thread the drumming is Godlike and amazing) what would it sound like? Will it actually sound like someone hitting a snare drum, or would it just be that silly popping noise I get in my room at home that I have to EQ and compress the bejesus out of just to get something that vaguely resembles what a snare actually sounds like?
    If like you say, everything is set up perfect with perfect playing and perfect gear, then you could stick a $10 mic on the snare and it would sound good.
    The source is the most important thing (the snare in this case) then its the player, then the gear.

Eck

Thanks
    What I'm asking is can the big guys get a sound from a 57 that could be used as is with little or no EQ or compression ?

The reason I ask is that the sound I get from a 57 on my snare doesn't begin to sound like a snare until I've processed the crap out of it. I'm wondering if this is due to poor micing technique, or something lacking in the recording chain
    I can pretty much guarantee the problem is your snare.
    Might be a cheap crappy snare, might have old skins on it, might not be tuned properly, might be a loose snare rattle, or could be all of these factors.

Eck

Thanks
    Assuming that the snare itself sounds 'godlike'...

Overhead and room mics are at least as important as the close mic for a snare sound. So the nice studio room will probably beat your home studio in that respect. The close mic SM57 may sound similar both places, but the rooms will probably be completely different. The big studio will probably not leave the SM57 unprocessed either, so don't feel bad that you have to process it.

Thanks
    ... that silly popping noise I get in my room at home that I have to EQ and compress the bejesus out of just to get something that vaguely resembles what a snare actually sounds like?
    Sounds like a position problem. Are you up on the head? How about backing it off, down into the side, across the rim, etc?
    It's a whole 'nother animal over there.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thread Information