4-track and MIDI

dlm

I've been really studying the site for weeks now and its great. I dont quite have a grasp on MIDI. I think that it means that I can run a cable from the 4-track,( i don't have one yet) and the keyboard( input device) that I have has MIDI capabilites. Beside a 4-track, i want to also purchase a drum machine. So I want to know if it would be possible that I can make and record my music by having a MIDI keyboard, drum machine, 4-track, and a microphone all hooked up together.If thats not possible, I would like to know what the next best method is. thanks

Welcome, dlm, and glad you like our place!

Not sure what kind of music you're planning, but remember that the only connection a keyboard, drum machine, or any other MIDI device that will make sense to the 4-track is the audio output. In other words, the 4-track itself can't do anything MIDI, so you'll have to record whatever you're playing live, unless you get a sequencer (usually hooked to a computer). You don't need a mic for any of this either, you just hook the audio cable from the keyboard/drum machine to the 4-track.

Back