3 mikes on an acoustic lead

toast

I'm thinking of trying this mic setup for a lead acoustic:

1 Oktava MC012 about 8" from the 12th fret
1 Sennheiser 441 about 2 1/2 feet from the soundhole
1 AT 4060 over the shoulder

Then panning the Oktava to the left, the AT 4060 to the right, and the Sennheiser in the middle. Anybody ever tried this with success, or is it best to just stay with 2 of the same mic?

For what it is worth, I recorded an acoustic guitar with 2 mic's and a DI... panned each mic hard left/right, DI down the center. A Rode NT-2 near the 12th fret, NT-3 sitting on the groung pointing towards the sound hole and the DI straight into me Edirol Da-2496. It sounded very full, which is exactly what I wanted for the song.

Just thought I'd give some feedback on recording that way..

Porter

Worth a try - I've tried similar stuff to what Porter's done, similar stuff to what you're proposing too.

Remember that the more mics you have, the greater the chance of phase issues - somewhere out of the recording (in a time sense) tap your guitar with a pick so you have a sharp percussive sound point on the track. Then you can check the location of that point on all three tracks to see how it lines up. Easier this way than with actual music.

I've also tried running a lead from the pickup to a tube amp (in another room!) and micing the amp - depending upon how you EQ this channel it can give you some nice high end stuff that typical home rec situations (carpet and plasterboard) can suck up. Try whatever you can think of - something will click somewhere along the line.

Cheers

Back