2" tape decks

DaveDrummer

Ive been workin with portastudios for years and I think its time to move one. i was thinking about digital, and also 2" tape. What do you think of the sony TC-766-2? thanks

DaveDrummer said:
portastudios...2" tape

A lot of people in this world could probably scrap together enough money to by a used Ferrari, but its the up keep that prevents it.

a month ago I traden my goold old never used yamaha mu90r against a dust collecting Itam 16tr 1" deck...complete with remote(3KG!) and 16 tascam dolby units.....

but it's damn expensive and you don't get the advantages of digital editing....and you don't wanna miss that these days...trust me!

So the question would be....

1. tape + digital
2. digital

Only tape is no option. You do not get to work with dudes like steely dan for a couple of years;) but boggy bands and you WILL need fast editing. Both is very expensive to keep in shape...I've work the last years with 5 tascam recorders, but they start to show fatigue.....and replacing them for new would cost me waaaayyy mucho money and I;ll be heaving the same problem in a couple of years again...and that is with widely know digital tape systems...you'll understand analogue recorders are even more expensive....

If you buy digital, choose a seperate component system...My suggestion ...
1. Program...
2. Computer...
3. AD/DA...

Well....and that;s up to you to decide...it's not possible to try everything in advance because it takes time to really know a system, basicly based on thrusting it to do the job it is supposed to...my choices:

1. Nuendo
2. Mac
3. Motu

But there about 1 million better options than this i guess, this just works for me in my situation....gotta have that...is prettty importanto...

Ok, i'm tired!

From a porta to two inch is a major leap. Two inch is still the best sounding format. I record always to a 2" machine. Nuendo is only used when the drummer forgets a stroke. :D

But it's the most expensive way of making recordings. You got to have a really good machine, a bad machine will cost you a fortune in a short time.

For the price of one reel of tape you can buy three decent mics.
A reel of tape can contain 32 minutes of material at 15 ips, so only 16 minutes at 30 ips.

A pinch roller for a 2" Studer machine will cost you $850

But it sure sounds very good (if you know how to align it).

Unless you have a huge budget...........................................

Han,

ik heb net even je website bekeken en de analoge recorders lijkt me jouw terrein!...

(english: ) Han, my right tire is fixed!

:rolleyes:

2 inch no more

no point in 2 inch anymore imho. the pc daw is the way to go.
many more features. and conveniences.

Back